Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Ludwig Reinforcement Hoop Replacement?

I have a chopped Ludwig Standard 13" tom - the original owner sawed it in half - aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! If I can, I want to turn it into a 3" X 13" piccolo snare. The top edge is intact, all I need to do right now is saw the bottom, ragged edge to square and then put in a reinforcement ring (glue ring). I know that there's more to the art than this, but this is my first aim.

Does anyone know where to get a 1968-70 vintage Ludwig Standard glue ring for inside a 3 ply 13" drum?

I have spoken to a custom drum shop about making one, but things became more complex. I'm a newbie to this realm & I'm happy to find an old Ludwig ring to glue in myself, or to just have one made to my needed specs - without spending alot.

Any leads or thoughts? Help2

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

try searching kelleratthecore.com ( I think thats it ) . One of the companies affiliated with keller offers glued up re-rings, shells that they cut down for that purpose.

Good Luck

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Lucky, Thanks for the tip. I've been checking out the Keller site with no solid leads yet, but I'll email them with a link to this thread & see what they say.

This is a phantom topic it seems, not alot to find online so far. I appreciate the reply.:cool:

Posted on 15 years ago

I have solved my Ludwig Reinforcement ring problem Clapping Happy2

I found a beater 13" Ludwig Standard tom shell on eba-bay-ba. It was totally stripped, badge and all, and the blue strata wrap was both faded and apparently scorched on one side.

After much research, and a couple of hours of patient labor, I removed one of its re-rings. As a result, I'll be able to add a '71 vintage, factory issue, granitone ring to my custom '71 Gold Strata piccolo snare project.

It was 20 bucks well spent for my purposes.

If anyone wants any details on my "method" - I took notes & have a few pics.

In my searches on this subject of vintage re-rings & their ungluing, I found next to nothing (sorry if I missed something here at vdf). Although the folks at Elmer's Glue were quite helpful.

It doesn't seem to be a common practice, as most drum folks, no doubt, just get nice new ones, if they need 'em.

p.s. I did email Keller & they were happy to help me out with a ring to my specs - It was just then that I found the beater shell.

Another baby step for this novice baby crawl2

Posted on 15 years ago

flowers2Hi, I'm glad you picked up a ring. I'm curious to see how your project turns out. I have a old 13" clubdate that I would also like to turn into a snare. But not quite so shallow maybe 6" or 6.5" Which lugs are you using?

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Jazzzzbird,

Re: Lugs, due to my limitations in shell depth, I'm strongly considering chrome Ego double-ends ~ http://www.egodrumsupply.com/roundedde.html

I'd love some vintage sideways Ludwigs ala the Downbeat piccolo, etc. but at the $25 a pop that I've seen (times 6).... a bit too rich for me.

Another reason for the Egos is that my 3" shell will retain one hole from the old Standard lugs. If I understand the Egos correctly, they only need one hole, so, no more holes to drill. Plus, since my incentive is to not waste the now extinct Ludwig Gold Strata wrap, I *think* that the Egos will take up less visual real estate than other kinds of lugs.

This is my first "extreme" build project, so I'm trying to take my time and plan & research things as I go. Considering how the shell already is, I think I'll only get one chance to do it right.

I'll be sure to post the final result here, though it may take awhileSumo Dude

Posted on 15 years ago

I reused a rering on a 16x16 that I cut down to a 16x14. It took a little time but worked very well. Would love to see the pics also.

Posted on 15 years ago

Those Ego lugs look very good. I would also like to see their Kick Stand Spurs on a drum. Take your time and have fun building your snare.D' Drummer

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement Jazzbird - the Egos do seem very cool:cool: I can't wait to get to that point.

Hey Lucky, even though I got my re-ring unglued by very hot water soaks & gentle tapping & prying - I'm very interested to know what method you used to remove the ring on your floor tom chop, as well as what problems you may have run into in the process.

- btw, i think those 16" x 14" floor toms are s w e e t :D

Also, any special tips on how to re-apply a re-ring - the best prep, glue, clamping methods.... I've clamped plenty of flat things, but have little than my imagination to go on in regard to clamping a circular form like a drum shell/re-ring.

Posted on 15 years ago

The hot water soak is a method I didn't think of. I put a scrap piece of wood on my tablesaw fence and raised the sawblade into it so that the amount of shell left on the ring was as far as the blade was past the fence. Make sense? I cut the shell to 14 inches and then I had the part of the shell left over with the re-ring on it. I then just worked the left over part of the shell into the blade and trimed off the shell material leaving the re-ring intact. I know, probably not the safest method but it worked for me. I bought a bunch of small C clamps and used them to clamp the ring back on the shell. You will need more than you think. I also used thin strips of wood to protect the shell from the clamps. I used Gorilla glue to reglue the ring. I have been using that glue a lot these days. Let me know if this makes sense, I can take some pics tomorrow .

Good luck

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here