Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

ludwig rail consolette - replacing bolts

Busting out a wrench at gigs to set up the tom mount is getting to be a pain. I tried replacing the nuts with wing nuts, but they are impossible to get tight enough.

Has anyone successfully replaced the original bolts on the tom arm with anything more user friendly?

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

For the past year I have been leaving the rail mount with the L arm set as how I use it. When I put the bass drum in the soft case I use I let the L arm stick out through the zipper. I'm careful how I load and unload the drum so I don't bang it. My set up is real fast this way. I also use a memory lock (a small hose clamp) on the L arm to quickly position the tom. My set up and tear down time for my 4 piece kit is about 15 min without having to hurry.

Posted on 10 years ago

Buy new tom lug with memory clamp and replace old one

http://www.maxwelldrums.com/ludwig-tomfloor-mounting-bracket-p1216d-p-3812.html

---------------------
In case of deal with johnnyringo:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...80&postcount=1
Posted on 10 years ago

From lebreton566

Busting out a wrench at gigs to set up the tom mount is getting to be a pain. I tried replacing the nuts with wing nuts, but they are impossible to get tight enough.Has anyone successfully replaced the original bolts on the tom arm with anything more user friendly?

When I restored my '72 Gretsch, Eddie Ryan, who did the re-wrap, replaced the original hex nut with an enormous wing nut. Not authentic, but a vast improvement, and does the job.

I've posted a close up on my project album - the last slide ..

https://picasaweb.google.com/116410754577390367293/RobbieSKitRestorationProject

In the days when I played, (30 years ago) I had it set just tight enough to fold down flat for transport, then angle up for playing, when it rested against the snare with a bit of moleskin to protect it from rash. Unfortunately the moleskin eventually wore through and I ended up with a severe rash!

Today, though, I'm sure there are all sorts of heavy duty rubber / leather / plastic materials which would provide such protection .....

I was never one for hanging around after a gig, and in those days, my fame among local musicians had nothing to do with my playing; I was known as the fastest getter-out and packer up in town, and could start the National Anthem with a full kit and by the end everything was packed except the bass drum and snare, which I was playing with one hand! 2 more minutes and all was in the car - no cases and a navy kit bag for the hardware, and I was off (or in the bar .....)

Posted on 10 years ago

Busting out the wrench might be a small bit inconvenient, but to me the security factor far outweighs it. If you use the Ludwig "spark plug" wrench from that era, it will easily fit in your pocket or stick bag. It's no bigger than your car keys, and is only slightly bigger than a drum key. Not inconvenient at all. I keep mine in my stick bag.

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/vyacheslav13/th_ludwig-hex-tensioning-wrench2-th_zps0b142762.jpg[/IMG]

If the nuts are worn, there is a guy on ebay that sells replacement nuts for the Ludwig stuff (5/16" thread with a 7/16" wrench size-same as the picture above. Normal 5/16" nuts use a 1/2" wrench size so these are specialized). His user name is "grumpy" followed by some numbers. He is quick and friendly.

I use my wrench on my rail mounts and shell mounted cymbal holders. Not really inconvenient for me at all. Knowing it's tight gives me piece of mind. Let's face it, the weight of a drum on round, smooth chrome parts is going to have to be tighter than "hand tight" to really be secure. That's why they came with nuts in the first place!

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here