Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig "Combo" Outfits

Hey guys,

I recently grabbed a Ludwig kit for free off my old highschool and it's something I haven't seen out there before. I figure by the hardware and shell construction it must be an entry level kit Ludwig produced similar to the Standard series. Typically, on ebay the Standards, where they are most sighted it seems, feature painted interiors w/ rerings, a different type of lug (more rounded) and usually the infamous "Strata" finishes. Now this set is a little different, the lugs on it are lugs I've never seen before, and are (I'm sure you lug makers will love this) made of some light yellow plastic painted with a chrome paint. Luckily the hole spacing matches the Ludwig Large Classic lugs so I was thinking about maybe switching them out. The interiors look to be around 6-8 ply, no rerings, speckled grey paint interior. Definitely from the 70's and not earlier that I can tell because of the curved arc spur mounts and the tom mount in the bass drum. Toms are a concert tom configuration, 12", 13", 16", 22". The finish is the classic, beloved Butcherblock finish. The badges are a thin plastic, triangle shaped, "Ludwig Combo USA" with low serials, in the 700's. I thought about grabbing some new heads for it and spurs and such, is it worth it? Another option I was thinking, was to throw some Ludwig Large Classic lugs on it and rewrap it. Any help and info about these drums would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted on 18 years ago

Come on guys, anyone? I can't find info on this anywhere.

Posted on 18 years ago

You are correct in many respects.

They show up in the 1980 catalog as the Combo I and Combo II. Yours is the Combo II. Prior to 80's I do not have the specific catalog of introduction.

These were "Economically Priced" drum.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

So it is from the 70's then? I know the butcherblock finish came into play around 1974 I believe. Do you think it's that young or older than that? Any estimated worth?

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here