Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig "Burgundy Beater" Kit

I put more time, effort and "elbow grease" into this project than any other to date. The kit's in a 20/12/12/16 configuration. I hesitated about even picking this one up due to its horrific condition when I initially went out to look at it. However, I'm very satisfied with the results.

It's definitely a "beater" or "player's" kit as the prior owner re-wrapped the shells and, for some bizarre reason, decided to replace the original Ludwig bass drum lugs and t-rods with Slingerland lugs and t-rods. You'll also notice that the bass drum spurs and spur mounts are also Slingerland. However, there are no extra holes in that area. Apparently, the bass drum was a virgin prior to the Slingerland mounts being installed. One of the bass drum hoops has a burgundy inlay while the other has a silver sparkle one.

The kit also had a significant amount of missing pieces, which I was able to replace. The wrap and hardware were extremely filthy at the time of purchase but turned out quite nice after a good clean and polish. The wrap was also lifting at the seems on the floor tom and bass drum but that issue has been addressed.

I also received a Ludwig hi-hat stand with 13" hats, a couple of A. Zildjian cymbals with flat-base stands, a throne and a converted Super Sensitive snare in the deal. However, I didn't include these in the pic that I posted.

Over-all, for what I paid, I'm quite satisfied with the finished product. I still need to purchase some original Ludwig rims for one of the rack toms.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Gary. I really like this kit, it will be a great kit too gig with !

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 10 years ago

Are you SURE it's a Ludwig bass drum that somebody replaced all of the Ludwig hardware on, without any extra holes being drilled into the shell? Since it's a rewrap, it's entirely possible that somebody combined a Slingerland bass drum with Ludwig toms. It wouldn't sound that much different, and wouldn't look that different from the inside, seeing as though the shells are VERY similar.

I'll bet it sounds fantastic!

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing...

Great looking kit whatever..

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 10 years ago

Sling and Lud hole spacings are different on the lugs.....both small and large .....AFAIK

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

I really like that kit. I would definetly play it out on gigs! Great job!

Posted on 10 years ago

From blairndrums

Sling and Lud hole spacings are different on the lugs.....both small and large .....AFAIK

....soooooooo, if there are no extra holes in the shell, the lug casings are original to the shell, and it IS a Slingerland. I thought the hole spacing was different, but I wasn't sure. Thanks, Blairndrums!

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 10 years ago

@Mark (vintagemore2000): Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to giving it a "test drive"!

@caddywumpus: YES, I'm sure that it's a Ludwig bass drum. The shell is factory-drilled to accept Ludwig Classic lugs. The prior owner had an additional hole drilled at each lug to accomodate the replacement Slingerland lugs. Why anybody would even consider doing such a thing is a total mystery to me, but that's what they did. You can't see the additional holes from the exterior of the shell but you can from the interior. Despite this bizarre decision you are correct that the kit DOES sound fantastic.

@longjohn: Thanks for the positive feedback.

@Blair (blairndrums): You are correct, as usual, as noted in my comment to caddywumpus.

@Gerald Sterken: Appreciate the input!

Posted on 10 years ago

The kit looks amazing! And that Slingerland bass drum fits right in. Really great looking kit.

Enjoy! D' Drummer

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

The kit looks amazing! And that Slingerland bass drum fits right in. Really great looking kit.Enjoy! D' DrummerJohn

Thanks so much, John, and thanks for the advice you provided when I was thinking of passing on the kit. I appreciate it. BTW...The bass drum actually is a Ludwig that the prior owner drilled extra holes into to accomodate the replacement Slingerland lugs.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here