Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Ludwig Questions: Piccolos & Floor Toms

Good Afternoon!

I've got a few questions regarding vintage Ludwig piccolo snares and floor toms that I'm hoping you "experts" out there can answer.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... here we go:

From what I've researched, the Ludwig Drum Company produced several models of piccolo snare drums. Among them were the 6-lug 3 x 13 "Be Bop" Model, the 8 lug 4 x 14 "Compacto" Model and the 6-lug 3 x 13 "Downbeat" model. I believe that the first two were produced in the 50s, while the Downbeat was produced in the 60s.

Did the Downbeat simply replace the two former models, or were they still available in the 60s? Also, were there other Ludwig piccolo models produced other than those I mentioned above? If so, could you identify them?

From a collector's point of view, which of these models is the most desired and why?

I'm also interested in finding out which configuration of vintage Ludwig keystone badge floor tom has a higher collector value and why --- the 16 x 16 configuration or the 14 x 14?

THANKS in advance for your feedback!Help

Posted on 16 years ago

The Downbeat is a 4 X 14 8-lug snare drum. I know, because I've got one.

Of the models you named, the Downbeat is the most desirable. Why? I don't know.

14 X 14 FT is waaaay more desirable. Why? No idea.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

O-Lugs:

THANKS for the information. Based on your feedback I'm wondering what model of piccolo I've got in my meager collection. It's a 13 x 3 configuration with 6 Ludwig piccolo lugs, a pre-serial keystone badge and identical strainer to that found on the Downbeat.

Posted on 16 years ago

It sounds like you have a Jazz Combo, which I believe was introduced in the late 1950's. The earlier version of the 3x13 was called the Bebop, and had different lugs. Yet another piccolo was a 4x13, called the Las Vegas.

The Ludwig piccolo lugs are probably my favorite lug design, and I love the Downbeat, Jazz Combo, and any other piccolo with those lugs. However, they are not considered the best design, because they place a lot of torque on the shell.

Here's my '60 Jazz Combo and '66 Downbeat:

[img]http://69.6.216.143/blspk_pic.jpg[/img]

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Yes, I agree with mlvibes' assessment of the situation. It sounds like you probably have a Jazz Combo. Dang! I didn't know about The Las Vegas. I always called the 4 X 13 a "Compacto". Could it be one-in-the-same?

And, yes, as "cool" as the "sideways" piccolo lugs were, they were always trying to rotate themselves against the shell due to the type of torque placed upon them when under tension. When these lugs are taken off to be cleaned or for whatever reason, the corresponding holes in the shells are often "oval" shaped!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

The Las Vegas model was called that because it genearlly came with a cocktail drum of the same name. The snare was attached to the side of the coaktail drum by a metal arm. I would assume it was discontinued in the ealy 60's due to the fact that it did'nt make much sense to keep a 3x13 and a 4x13. I think the compacto model was a mid 50's 4x14 piccolo.

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/

Click catalogs and then click on Ludwig catalog '59 page 16.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here