Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Ludwig Pre-Serial Super Classic Snare Drum...Impulse Buy!!

Wow, talk about an impulse buy! I found this Ludwig Super Classic on eBay earlier today. Asking price was only $369 + $36 shipping. After mulling it over for a bit, I decided to hit the "Buy it Now" button! I just plan to clean it up and add it to my collection! Even has the original wires and a red-felt BB muffler. However, I do have a set of NOS Puresound PLS-1416 just in case! Hope I did the right thing! Attached are five of the original eBay pictures. Here's a link to the eBay item... https://www.ebay.com/itm/115199138872

-Mark

5 attachments
59.3 kB
76.6 kB
109.8 kB
121.7 kB
122.4 kB
Posted on 1 year ago

Congratulations on finding a sweet snare. It seems Jazzfests and the like are getting very hard to come by.

Josh

Posted on 1 year ago

Cool drum. I wish they could have drilled the holes so that one lug could have been over the seam. It looks like it will clean up nicely. I always liked the look of that throw off but never owned a drum that had one.

Unusual looking snare beds, too. And the way that one end of the wires extends further than the other...crazy design!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 1 year ago

From O-Lugs

Cool drum. I wish they could have drilled the holes so that one lug could have been over the seam. It looks like it will clean up nicely. I always liked the look of that throw off but never owned a drum that had one. Unusual looking snare beds, too. And the way that one end of the wires extends further than the other...crazy design!

That is what the beds looked like on '63 and earlier Ludwig snares. Ringo's '63 Jazz fest has the same style beds. Slingerland used similar beds as well.

Posted on 1 year ago

From O-Lugs

Cool drum. I wish they could have drilled the holes so that one lug could have been over the seam. It looks like it will clean up nicely. I always liked the look of that throw off but never owned a drum that had one.Unusual looking snare beds, too. And the way that one end of the wires extends further than the other...crazy design!

Hi O-Lugs! Yes, it is a cool drum! I had a 1961 Super Classic that had the small dial muffler. As to the crazy design of the snare wires, Slingerland did the same thing with the GK Soundking snare drum, except Slingerland's wires extended over the end with the butt, while Ludwig's wires extend over the strainer side.

The drum should arrive tomorrow, Saturday, and I'll report back on it.

-Mark

Posted on 1 year ago

I did not realize that was a standard Ludwig snare bed. I thought it might have been just for the drums that had that particular throw off. I learned something! :) FWIW, my 1964 Pioneer with the good, ol' P83 and plastic-end snare wires, has snare beds that are definitely different than that Super Classic.

I somehow recall the the Super Sensitive beds were also different, too....?

How many different types of snare beds did Ludwig use over the years, I wonder?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here