Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Ludwig pre-serial #s & interiors

I'm looking at a early 1960s Ludwig (pre-serial numbers):

9x13, 16x16, 14x22

The rack and floor have white interiors, while the bass drum is clear. The seller (a reputable dealer) says this is "typical of drums from this period" and they are not mismatched.

Is this reliable information? I really like the kit but I don't want to make a noobie mistake.

Also: The rack tom's reinforcement ring has been professionally repaired. Is this something I should be wary of?

Thank you!

Posted on 14 years ago

That's correct!

I had three Ludwig kits over time and two were pre-serials and both had bassdrums with natural interior.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've still got my original Ludwig pre-serial keystone kit in the identical sizes as the one you're looking at.

Both of my toms have the white interiors while the bass drum is clear. I wouldn't be concerned about a "mismatch", since this is how mine came from the factory.

A "professional" repair job on a reinforcement ring wouldn't concern me either, although I 'd probably want to see the work prior to finalizing any transaction. If this information was provided by the current owner it sounds like you're dealing with an honest individual. Some, unfortunately, might avoid mentioning this condition.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here