Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Ludwig Pioneer and JazzFest Shells

Hey,

Just curious...

The 1970 JazzFest and the Pioneer appear identical with only a couple of exceptions...

1. 6 lug/8 lug

2. 12 strand/18 strand

How can these two items make such a difference in sound that one is worth several hundred dollars more???

If it's the strands, then what if you replace the 12 with and 18? Would they be the same then?

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Posted on 15 years ago

The 8 lug tensions the head more, more crisp. I think?

Posted on 15 years ago

Is that it???

Posted on 15 years ago

The more lugs you add the more fine tuning that is available to dial in the best sound. 6 luggers aren't horrible to tune to "that" sound, but its not as easy as an 8 lug, or 10 lug, or even 12 lug for than matter.

Posted on 15 years ago

If that's the only hangup, then why the substantial difference in value? Drummers don't balk at tuning. Heck, look at the Rogers wacky snare design. Once you LEARN to tune them, they sound great. Drummers put in the time.

I've seen Jazzfests for upwards of 450 and 500 (most in the 375 range). But, Pioneers only fetch 200-300 bucks. Blows my mind at bit. If the sound is there and the authenticity is there and the finish is there and the brand is there...what the heck? I just don't get it.

Posted on 15 years ago

Its a perception thing. Pioneers were considered student models when new, jazzfests and super classics were the professional models. Also, look at who the big famous artists who used the jazzfests and super classics were: Ringo, Buddy Rich, etc. If either of those guys used a pioneer model as their main snare I'm sure the value of those would be through the roof.

Its all perception of value. Those in the know get a great sounding drum for a bargain in comparison.....its like the acrolite vs supraphonic debate.....same shell, same sound, but with two more lugs and chrome the supra is worth inherently more $$. The acrolite was also considered a student model, and was in fact a school drum kit standard for a looong time. Those in the know on those get great deals as well....same sound as a supra for considerably less.

Hmmmm....now that I've let the cat out of the bag, I'm sure prices will go up on these bargains now! DOH

Posted on 15 years ago

I have played a Pioneer for years. It has always been my go to snare.

Posted on 15 years ago

Yup. This is what I thought. I'm very familiar with the artist rosters and their choices of tubs. I'm pleased and disappointed at the same time. It's great to be able to get a bargain on some of these little known gems...but at the same time, it bugs me that people charge so much for something that is pretty much the same thing. That adds more confirmation that the vintage drum market is not necessarily equitable. The price of drums ebbs and flows with the whims of a group of people. The prices of Vistalites resemble a sine wave. Right now they've bottomed out and are beginning to show signs of a gradual rise. This doesn't make sense to me. Once again, this is why I don't collect drums - I play them. I just don't understand this market. K's are collected for the sound. Martins are collected for the sound. Gibson's are collected for the sound. Drums are collected for the rarity of the finish and who played them. That's just odd logic to me. I will say that I'm delighted that someone is collecting them so that we have a solid record of what came before. That is a great thing. My wife is delighted that I'm not taking on that responsibility. I thoroughly enjoy studying them and playing them. I just can't be the curator of the museum. But, I'm glad someone out there can. Wow. For being a drummer of over 45 years, there's still so much I just don't know. This is a great site to educate me. Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago

I think drums are collected for the sound also. Rogers have their own sound, Gretsch, Slingerland, Ludwig, they all have their own sound. I am sure a lot of guitars are collected for their color and rarity. Cymbals also. I am a player also, I got into snares for the sounds of each one. Collecting is an addiction, drums are just cool.I have three kits right now and I really don't need anymore but, if a real cool vintage kit came my way, right color and sizes I would grab them.

Just my two cents.

Posted on 15 years ago

''This doesn't make sense to me. Once again, this is why I don't collect drums - I play them. I just don't understand this market. K's are collected for the sound. Martins are collected for the sound. Gibson's are collected for the sound. Drums are collected for the rarity of the finish and who played them. That's just odd logic to me."

Not sure where you get this assumption from. The amount of guitar collectors and collections dwarfs that of drum collectors and collections. Many of the the most expensive and highly sought guitars are bought and sold regardless of the sound...I'd venture to say most of them are never played.

People collect all sorts of things, and pay top dollar for rarities...coins, cars, drums, toys, etc...

It's great that you get drums just to play...I play many of my vintage drums.

But the art and history of these items make them more than just musical instruments. Should a new acrolite that sounds great cost more than a Ludwig New Era in Peacock pearl that sounds like heck?

Now THAT would be odd logic...

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here