Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Ludwig P-83 / P-85 Strainers

I was always under the impression that Ludwig installed its P-83 strainer on its drums from the 60s and that the P-85 strainer kicked in sometime during the 70s. However, some time ago I picked up a 1965 Ludwig Pioneer that the prior owner claimed was 100% original and it had a P-85 mounted on it.

I checked to see if the original holes drilled for the strainer had been modified in any way and whether there were extra holes drilled into the shell to accept the P-85. Negative on both counts. I then checked one of my favorite sources for vintage drum information, Harry Cangany's "The Great American Drums And The Companies That Made Them, 1920-1969."

On Page 30 of his book, under "Snare Drums 1960s" and "Pioneer", Mr. Cangany lists the following information:

5x14, 6 1/2x14

6 Classic Lugs

triple-flanged hoops

nickel, chrome plating

large Pioneer (P85) strainer (later P83)

mahogany, lacquer

Should I interpret this to mean that the Ludwig Pioneer Models from the early to mid-60s came with a P-85 strainer and those manufactured later in the 60s came with P-83s?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I'm simply trying to determine whether the strainer currently mounted on my 1965 Pioneer is, in fact, original to the drum.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for all of your help!Cooked Egg

Posted on 15 years ago

There were (is) 3 different P-85 strainers. The one Harry is talking about was an early (61-62) piece, two-hole mount with a small "Pioneer" throwoff arm. The other (59-60) was with a 3-point configuration. Then it went to the P-83 'til around 1969 when it then went to the latest P-85. The 61-62 Pioneer P-83, later P-83 (63-69)& the latest P-85 share the same strainer base that mounts to the shell, hence the same distance mounting holes.

Posted on 15 years ago

Vadrums: Appreciate the information. It looks like mine (1965) should have come with a P-83 in lieu of the P-85 that's currently on it.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here