Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig Oyster Black/Supraphonic snare drum/Ringo signature?

Hello! Great forum! I recently acquired 13,16,20 Oyster Black shells. The 13 and 20 have no serial number. The 16" I have dated to summer of '64. Inside the floor tom I have discovered a 'Ringo' signature which I am trying to verify. The drums were originally purchased here in Toronto and to my knowledge has had only one owner.

The tom mount on the 13 and bass drum spurs looks different from what I have been able to view online, suggesting to me Ludwig transition kit (shells) with WFL mounts etc.

The snare has all original parts. I placed a magnet on the inside of the shell and no attraction occurred (COB). So, any thoughts on kit and snare value? Also any help on a locating a spur, bass drum counter hoop inlay, would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Posted on 18 years ago

Well under further review, I was disappointed to realize the 'Ringo' signature was just a gag done a long time ago. Well, a man can dream eh? too bad.. ;-) .Anyways, any thoughts out there on what this kit is worth? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted on 18 years ago

Not familiar with that tom mount on that type of set, but it looks like there are no extra holes. If the set were any other color (the bass, and toms), I'd guess the value for the three at around $500. The Ringo factor, though, probably makes the three pieces closer to 8 or 9 hundred. If it was in Ringo's configurations of 22, 13, 16 or 20, 12, 14...probably $1500.

The snare, if brass, in real nice shape is worth 600 to 900. Just because a magnet doesn't stick, that doesn't mean it's brass. Magnets didn't stick to most of the supraphonics as they were usually made of aluminum. The first key to it being brass is that there's no serial number. Then you have to check for the crimped snare beds...even snares with those two clues are sometimes alloy. Then you should check for a curl on the shell; there's a certain characteric where the shell curls in that indicates a brass shell. The best way to check is to take off a lug, and scrape inside a hole with a file...you should see a gold color metal under the chrome. Even if the drum isn't brass, it's still worth a couple hundred.

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for your input! I removed a snare lug and did the scrape test and found no 'gold'. bummer...but needless to say, I am still very happy with my little treasure snare drum...I'm going to take another picture and repost 'that' signature that I found inside the floor tom, just to throw it out there...

I figure the value for the 13,16,20 would be about 2500. CDN considering it is very rare here in Canada...any thoughts?

The bass drum/tom mount look WFL to me...

Cheers

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here