Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Ludwig Official Released Mistake

I have a 1960 "Club Date" 4-Piece set. It has the single, center-mounted lugs (instead of the double lugs mounted near the edge), and ALL original hardware.

It has a 5"x14" WOOD snare, a 14"x22" Bass, a 9"x13" tom, and... get this - a 12"x15" floor tom! According to a few people, this is totally abnormal.

After years of inquiring everywhere, the best answer I got was from an old vintage drums expert. He believes that when it was being manufactured, a floor tom must have been damaged or lost or something, and with no extras available, the assembler must've pulled a marching snare shell off the line before it was drilled, and drilled it and finished it for floor-tom usage.

Wouldn't that be a Manufacturer Released Error (like the "Upside-Down Plane Stamp)?

Would that make them worth more to a collector?

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi Cooter! Believe it or not, your floor tom was the standard size that came with the early Ludwig club date kits. I've seen a few on ebay but they definitely aren't common.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

12x15 floor tom is indeed normal. The Slingerland stageband (their

Clubdate style line) also featured a 12x15 floor tom.

Harrison

Harrison
Posted on 16 years ago

Probobly an early 60's club date as most of the later clubdates were 20,12,14 sizes. That floor tom should also have spring loaded legs.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

A drummer I went to college with had a kit just like that. He said it was a martching snare drum shell, that was drilled to be a floor tom. Not sure if it's true or not, but an interesting angle.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 16 years ago

Whoops, it measures 13"x15"... so it's 13" deep.

I assume that doesn't change much, but figured I'd put the correction out there.

It is interesting, tho, that someone else had the same set with the same story. I wonder if that was me? I went to college in Eugene, OR, if that makes a difference.

Posted on 16 years ago

It is somewhat rare, though not unheard of. Slingerland was doing this with their stageband. I haven't seen alot of clubdates with this size of a floor tom.

Posted on 16 years ago

ClubDates have been around since the late 50's,owned a '58 ClubDate 13,15,22,14 snare in a maroon lacquer,wished I still had that kit!

15's were common but alot of parents bought CD's just as a ride tom,snare and bass,later on to add a fltm.

In the 60's,it seemed that 12,14fltm,20,were the norm up until the early 70's.

Pat

Posted on 16 years ago

I've had this set for over 20 years, but am thinking about selling it because I'm getting tired of the toms' retro sound (although the bass and snare sound spectacular!). What's the best way to go about this? Can I offer it for sale on this forum, or would that be against policy?

Posted on 16 years ago

You could sell it here...there's a for sale section.

You could try here:

http://www.drumforum.org/

and of course, ebay.

Pics would help.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here