Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Ludwig Octaplus

I am new here, and amazed at the knowledge of the members! very cool site!

Anyhow, i am looking for info on the octaplus sets from Ludwig.

I acquired a set and have cleaned them up.

All the single headed toms are made of another shell type than the double headed drums. I believe the 2 headed drums are maple. This kit also has 26" bass drums. Does this sound like an octaplus factory configuration?

Also have ludwig chimes, temple block set, and a 40" gong that i can't identify. I will post some pics later. Are these collectible? Desirable? The kit is in amazing shape.

Thanks for any help!

Steeldrumma

Posted on 16 years ago

Click on this:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig_drumsets_complete.html

...scroll down until you find the Octa-plus kit and then click on the image to magnify it.

It shows there was a listed catalog option for a 2-24" bass drum configuration. I didn't see any option for 2-26's, but I'm sure it could have been ordered that way if need be. But, no, it's not a catalog-listed option as far as I know.

The shells should be the same 3-ply shells as always...no edges cut into the bottom ends, though.

Mega-sized kits and single-headed toms are currently not desirable...but who knows what will happen in the future?...They might just become the fad, again...but I doubt it. The reason why I feel that way is because I don't think people want to go through all the set-up and tear-downs involved! That's why super-SMALL sizes are all the current rage! Also, the concept of single-headed toms is that they have no ability for the shell to resonate and become a component in the sound because the sound pressure wave is expelled rather than reflected.

Pictures are essential for even a ballpark estimate of value.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks, O.

I am more confused by the shell material, than the bass drum sizes.

I need to photo them, and inspect more. I just gave them a quick cleaning, and need to do some homework.

Steeldrumma

Posted on 16 years ago

Well...it could be that maybe by then they had started production on the 6-ply shells that eventually overtook the original 3-ply variety, by then. But, even in that case, I think the 6-ply shells were a combination maple and poplar. Forgive my lack of expertise on the Octa-Plus. I should know everything about it because it used to be my favorite drum set to dream about! It's just that, back then, I would never have thought about the type of wood used to make the shells or any other of the minute details that are now common amongst drum geeks....like the one I turned into! ;)

I would love to see some detailed pictures of your kit and in particular, the bearing edges and shell interiors.Burger Kin

Posted on 16 years ago

Ok, so i figured out that some have a coating called granitone, and others don't. all the drums except for the 2 26" bass drums, 15" concert tom, and the 18" double headed floor are coated. i hope these photos help. are these black cortex? wha would you estimate the value of all the pictured items?

i have ludwig cases for all. not sure the brand of the gong.

thanks for all the help!

Posted on 16 years ago

Indeed! Black Cortex is the finish (one of my personal favorites)...and your set seems very well kept.

Can you check the numbers on the badges and list them? That would help me to determine whether or not all the drums were initially sold together as a complete kit.

All the shells are the famous 3-ply shells -a good thing.

The fact that some are clear and some are Granitone is unusual for this particular configuration due to the fact that the interiors were visible and, thus, likely would have been sold with a uniform interior finish. But, then again, Ludwig was known for putting out many matched double-headed kits with different interior finishes, so that's not necessarily pertinent.

Since your drums appear to be in good shape, I would put my estimate at the higher end of the scale for such a kit...which isn't really meant to suggest an abnormally high value...but one that reflects the current state of collectibility for single-headed concert tom drums.

The value is in those bass drums. They are "adaptable" to other configurations outside of the OctaPlus. Also, the big floor tom is collectible. The value is also in it's completeness -IF it turns out to be a matched kit (based upon the badge number sequences) as a representation of one of Ludwig's most ostentatious configurations.

I am looking at the 2 bass drums being worth about 300-350 each..the 18" floor tom another 300. The smallest toms (the 6 and 8) are probably worth the most out of all the single-headed drums...maybe another 200. The other single-headed toms are probably worth about 50 bucks apiece. So, individually, the drums are worth about 1,500 or so...

...BUT...the completeness factor could add another 500-1000. The right collector...the Ludwig collector who wants one of every configuration...would love to have such a nice representation of the OctaPlus. So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think your OctaPlus is worth about 2,200...and maybe even a bit more by adding a matching Supra snare.

I wish I had the room for them in my collection!

The gong may be semi-valuable, too...but I don't know the brand or how to estimate a value for it.

Posted on 16 years ago

thanks, o!

the serial numbers are noticeably higher on the 15" concert tom, for sure. probably the 18" floor tom, and the bass drums, also. i do have the supra, and it does a very small amount of flaking, but overall, just as nice as the rest of the kit.

thanks for taking the time to provide such informative answers!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here