Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Ludwig OBP - My restoration

Hello my fellow drummers! I am new here. My name is anders and I hail from Winnipeg, Canada aka the city colder than mars (-50 last week...).

My first drum kit ever was what I have determined to be a 64` (me thinks) Ludwig Super Classic in Oyster Black Pearl. I got it when I was about 9, so 15 years ago. My dad saw my interest in drums and snagged it from a buddy for a hundred bucks. When I got it I was so dissapointed because I wanted some shiny new kit. Little did I know...

I`ve always loved these things. As I got older I discovered what they were and really enjoyed learning about the history of these rock solid drums, how they were made, etc. My vintage drum love affair began.

I stopped playing a ton 4 or so years ago due to college and now that I`ve graduated I`ve decided to invest my time and money in getting these babies up and running. I posted them at drumforum.org as well but since discovered this forum as well and have been lurking here for a while.

The bottom bearing edge on the floor tom was really rough. I talked to Jack Lawton and he gave me advice on how to fix that so I used plastic wood then sanded it back down. I used dawn and hot water on all the lugs and hardware and it worked wonders. I can`t believe how shiny they all are. There are no extra holes in the kit except on the kick where someone installed the 70`s mount. Any ideas what to do about that one..É

Also, I read that windex worked well on the wrap for cleaning and it does. I`m wondering about products to bring out the finish and make it shine, if anyone can suggest anything that would be great. It doesn`t appear to be faded, since I took all the lugs off. I can`t find any date stamps but did find some faded red ink in the tom above the badge, I assume it was a date. It`s missing a few parts. One set of bass drum claws and t rods, the cymbal L arm mount, and the rail mount. Everything is original down to the nuts and bolts. I guess I would call this a players kit. Other than the hole in the kick I can`t seem to find any flaws minus the repaired edge.

The serial numbers are 11420 on the 13``, 13750 on the floor tom and and 13726 on the kick. I originally thought they were around 1967 but Jack said probably closer to 1964. I am extremely happy with these and love playing them. I haven`t put them back together yet but I will post progress pics shortly. I know this post contains a lot of information that probably doesn`t matter to many but I will have more questions I`m sure, lol. I guess I just wanted to share my excitement!

Thanks guys

anders

Posted on 10 years ago

ahh it won`t let me post pics for some reason...bummer

Posted on 10 years ago

dont use windex on chrome ammonia will turn it green

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 10 years ago

Red ink date stamp is 1965 or earlier is my understanding....

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here