Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Ludwig- New Classic Calamity

I've a Ludwig "New Classic" snare. The wires attach with 3 screws: 1 on the throw and 2 on the butt plate (made from '48-'52). I am attempting to finish restoring it with its original parts. All I now need is the correct [COLOR="Red"]nickel[/COLOR] butt plate.

PROBLEM: The P87 throw I stuck on works great. It lays the snares flat against the bottom head. Now, I finally find a 2-screw-mounting buttplate, attach it, and the thing extends way too far below, close to 1 inch!!

QUESTION: [COLOR="Red"]Did Ludwig make this type of butt plate in different lengths, AND, does anyone know where I can find one?[/COLOR] Granted, the one that's too long here IS chrome-plated, but I'm guessing it doesn't make a difference.

Posted on 18 years ago

Is your drum the "Buddy Rich Model Super Classic".

The 1951 WFL catalog does state "For Chrome Plate Add...." So from that we know it came in nickel for sure. Also they only show one length of that style butt in the parts section.

So, we need a picture of the drum and the butt plate holes with the spacing, just to confirm we are talking about the correct butt plate the P88 Classic snare butt, extension.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

I am not the original owner nor a Ludwig expert, so I can't posit that it isn't a B.R. Super Classic. A friend (and collector) showed me a picture of the New Classic Model in reputable Ludwig vintage reference book (don't remember the name or author) that was identical to mine. Further, this one has pretty deep beds (I don't know if the B.R. model had them).

The holes measure 1 5/8" from hole- to hole-center. I'll take some pictures.

Posted on 18 years ago

I've got some pictures that are too big to fit here. Can I send them somewhere else?

Posted on 18 years ago

Anybody hear of a [COLOR="Red"]P84[/COLOR] (pictured in a 1951 catalog)? I'm discovering it's got the same hole spacing as the P88. Would Ludwig have used a P84 on any of the Classic models, with a P87?

Posted on 18 years ago

Send me the pictures.

[EMAIL="vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com"]vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com[/EMAIL]

Thanks

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here