Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Ludwig Mutant Jazzer Restoration

I wanted to play a neato jazz kit. I checked around for a Downbeat or a Modern Jazz and quickly realized they cost more than I'm willing to spend. I guess I'm not the only one who wants to goof on a mini-kit.

I decided to put one together myself. I figured I would build it from spares and orphans.

I have a 1971 Ludwig clean shaven 12 inch tom left over from a previous kit restoration project. It is naked with no skin or hardware. I would have to build this one.

The 12 inch tom got the Gold Sparkle treatment. This was done because this particular drum came from another project kit and I didn't want to separate it from them. They can still go together if needed. The hardware was purchased through three different sources and needed a bit of spit and polish. All in all, the tom turned out well.

I also managed to pick up a cool 1972 Ludwig Red Sparkle Pioneer snare at about this same time.

The snare restoration went well. I had to do a bit of repair work on the inside wall and a touch on the rering. Nothing major. The finish is in beautiful shape. Still bright and vibrant.

A fine gent on this very forum slipped me a sweet 1970 Ludwig Club Date style bass drum. He was good enough to drill it for wing spurs for me. It is now naked and unashamed awaiting delivery of the new skin.

The bass came to me drilled for a two hole rail mount. I finally located one on the bay. It has a clip mount. I picked up a couple Ludwig L-arms so that I could swap the clip mount for an L-arm. My 12 inch tom is drilled for a standard Ludwig L-arm mount. Hopefully this will work. If not, you will hear the scream.

I spent a bit of time prepping the shells and cleaning 'em up. The 12 inch tom and the bass had some very tired wrap. It literally came off in my hands. Velcro is harder to pull apart. I've been very fortunate with the Ludwig wraps I've dealt with. They all seem to just fall off. But, that's why I choose to rewrap them. Duh. The wrap came off like unrolling a paper towel. The first pic is of the underside of the bass drum wrap. Note that very little glue is on the wrap. It seems to have jumped from the wrap to the shell over time. Anyway, that should help explain why I don't have an issue rewrapping drums in this condition. The hardware was the only thing holding the wrap on the shell. The seams were pulling a bit. Everything beyond the seam was barely touching. I've had quite a few Ludwig kits in this condition.

I waited and bided my time for that elusive 14 inch floor tom. Kevin slipped me a Ludwig 15x12 WMP Tenor Tom as a "just in case" measure. Go Kevin!!!

I stumbled on an auction that was listed strange. It wasn't one that normal search strings would have found. From this, I picked up (stole) my 14 floor tom. It's a 1969 Ludwig Standard in Blue Mist that has faded into a nice Teal Green. I did a bit of work to it and popped it some heads - Fiberskyn batter and Amb reso. My goodness! This drum sings. I hit it and timed the resonance - 7 seconds from strike to silence. Nice drum. My Pearl African Mahogany 14 inch floor did this, too. Unreal.

I managed to pick up some stands and such from several auctions. They should blend well with this kit.

I'm going to try that Pearl Optimount suggestion from another thread. I don't want it to stay black, so I'm thinking I might "modify" it a bit. We'll see. Still awaiting delivery.

This is the end of Phase One. Lots of progress made. Still have a ways to go.

The bass is awaiting it's new skin and such. My wife and I decided to experiment on it. I'll not give away exactly what we are doing until it is done and the pics are posted. Hopefully, we can pull this off. It's a lot tougher than I thought.

One interesting thing to note:

Take a look at the dates on these drums.

The dates are sequential. They run from 1969 to 1970 to 1971 to 1972. That's pretty cool.

They were meant to be.

Posted on 15 years ago

You're well on your way. Cool1

This is the project I have dreamed about doing also but just don't have the time and drive to do it yet. Congrats to you for jumping in and going for it!

Posted on 15 years ago

Here's the next step. I'm working out the pattern and I think I'm on to something. I tried the single diamond with smaller diamonds inset and just didn't like it. I went through about seven different patterns until I popped this one on. This is one of the patterns I will be using. There are a couple more due to hardware positioning, but they will all blend well. What do you think? Pretty cool or just a bit too much...

If you look carefully, amidst all the other drums, you will see the red snare and gold tom and teal green floor that go with this kit. So, look at those drums along with this bass and I believe you will get the idea of what I'm after.

It will look sweet when it's all finished. The bass rail is from the 50's. I had to play with it (mod it) to get it to work, but it's a keeper. This bass drum is really taking shape. This has been the most fun of all the kits I've done this year.

Posted on 15 years ago

I dig it.

Will the pattern rotate as it goes around the drum?

Like, each color moves to the left on the next one,

and the color on the far left moves to the far right?

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Sort of...

There are hardware parts on the top and the panels where the spurs mount. Those three spots have a bit of a different pattern. So, they all alternate in an "every other" rotation. I popped some on today with tape just to see if it would work and it looked pretty sweet.

Posted on 15 years ago

Cool-Daddy-O!!

BTW, the cymbal sleeves arrived today, Space Monkey too!!

Thanks!!

1 attachments
Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Might have to change your handle to "Rainbow Dude".

Posted on 15 years ago

Wow Michael, she's really shaping up! That's going to be a wild looking set!

Posted on 15 years ago

cool idea dude. way to think outside the box. and thanks again for the hoops and spurs! cheers!

yes, have some.
Posted on 15 years ago

Well...

Here's the basic kit completed. I will add the "Full Dresser" diamonds over the next two weeks. I wanted to post the basic kit completed so the bass colors could be seen without all the distractions. It turned out pretty neato. I like the blending of the four colors. The hardware is Ludwig. I think I might have actually set up a Camco cymbal stand by mistake, but it's all Ludwig hardware for this kit. I'm still not crazy about that hi-hat stand. It just doesn't go with this kit, but until I find a more subdued stand, it will have to do. I love those little bowtie bass t's. They are so cool. I will most likely swap out the lugs and floor leg boxes on the Standard tom. I believe I'm going to put on some large classic lugs and such. It might blend a bit better.

Incidently, I put calf on the 12 and 14 toms. I have Fiberskyn on the snare and bass. The kit sounds amazing. It plays really well....much better than I would have anticipated. I will eventually (when the company starts making them again) skin the bass and snare with Earthtone goats. I'm also going to use the goats as reso's. I'm not sure when they will get it together again, but it should be within the next two months. I think they'll sound even better when they get popped on.

I've got some very thin hats and a nice 18 proto from Sabian and a 16 Const. from Zildjian. The 18 has the same hammering as the Zildjian Const. This allows them to blend quite well.

With all the parts in place, the kit really sounds nice. It all just works.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here