Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Ludwig Lug Spacing- distances from shell edge

Hi everyone, and Happy Easter...

I have some Keller shells I'm gonna drill out for Ludwig lugs, large and small classic sizes.

Imagine my embarrassment when I realize although I have the lugs and brackets, I don't have any reference on where the correct distances are. Lame

So, I humbly request any information on the above: lugs, folding 60's style spur brackets, and floor tom leg brackets. Ie: distance from shell edges and bracket positioning for 14 x 18 , 14 x 14, 8 x 12...

Thanks, I can't believe I didn't think of this- been a few years (20) since I've done a project like this.:eek:

Posted on 8 years ago

I would just place a head and hoop on the drum, insert a tension rod and figure out where the lug should go by looking and measuring the position of the tension rod. I would place the lug so that the insert is about 1/2" to 1/4" above the end of the tension rod. You just need to get the the tension rod started in the the threads of the insert when the head and rim are just sitting on the shell.

Same thing with the spurs mounts, just hold them up to the shell while assembled and do what makes sense.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 8 years ago

[QUOTE=So, I humbly request any information on the above: lugs, folding 60's style spur brackets, and floor tom leg brackets. Ie: distance from shell edges and bracket positioning for 14 x 18 , 14 x 14, 8 x 12...

Thanks, I can't believe I didn't think of this- been a few years (20) since I've done a project like this.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Based on an early 70s 16x18 floor tom shell, these are distances from the bearing edge to the nearest hole centerline:

large classic lugs: 2-1/8"

vent hole: 3"

floor tom leg brackets: 3-5/8", positioned at 3, 6 and about 10:30 respective to vent hole at 12 o'clock

No idea on the spur brackets. Hopefully someone has a drum apart and can verify my measurements. Also, I believe that these distances could vary somewhat over the years. My floor tom brackets are lower on a late 70s kit.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks- positioning on the brackets for the floor tom helps a lot...I can eyeball the spur brackets, just want the things to look Ludwig-ish...

8x12, anyone?

Posted on 8 years ago

on my 60's 3ply shell, 8"x12" from edge to center of first hole 1-3/4 inch

Posted on 8 years ago

These measuring dudes are very nice to do that.

Ludwigish........YES.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 8 years ago

Thank you all, think I have it!Cool1

Posted on 8 years ago

An early 70s 9x13 tom with large classic lugs is 2-1/8" (nearest hole CL to bearing edge).

My late 70s 16-in concert tom with small classic lugs is also 2-1/8".

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here