Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Ludwig lug screws are brass

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1966 Ludwig Jazz Festival. I took the original heads off and it was like opening a crypt. I don't think anyone ever took the heads off or cleaned this thing. The first thing I noticed was the the lug screws were all corroded and there was some rusting. So, I took them off and soaked them in vinegar to remove the rust and corrosion. I left them in all night. The next morning I scrubbed them down with a toothbrush and sometimes with my thumbnail (nothing more abrasive) and all the corrosion and rust came right off. What I was left with were all the washers on the screws look like they're brass or copper (they look like pennies). I was surprised to see this as I always though these were galvanized steel or something.

A) Anyone know about these screws? Is it possible they're brass but were painted silver by Ludwig?

B) Would you consider those lug screws now ruined? Will having them raw brass affect resale value? Should I attempt to replace them even though they are the original screws?

Thanks for any help/answers. This site is awesome.

Jim

Posted on 12 years ago

If they were brass, then there would have been no rust on them.

I can't see why brass screws would have been used ,anyway or even brass plated screws(which would rust). They are both expensive and only indicated where there is a possibility of the parts getting wet. It normally takes a fair amount of constant moisture for the underlying steel to rust through brass plating.

Two other possibilities are Cadmium Dichromate plating, which looks copper coloured and Zinc Dichromate plating which looks brassy. Both would allow rusting to take place from condensation on them during a warming up spell and they are cheap and commonly used.

Posted on 12 years ago

Soaking in vinegar for that length caused a reaction , to the Dichromate plating.The acid in the vinegar essentially eating away the plating.I could be wrong buy my guess is the screws are ruined.:(

Steve B

Posted on 12 years ago

tamadrm is correct...I speak from experience. Vinegar is quite effective, but it is essential that this process be carefully monitored.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Oh well. Lesson learned. I had no idea vinegar could completely remove metal plating.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here