Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Ludwig Kit - No Serial Numbers

I recently purchased a Ludwig Vistalite (clear and red swirl pattern) that I have a question about. The Ludwig badges have no serial numbers on them. All of the drums, including the snare are blank. The badges doesn't show any signs of someone trying to remove the numbers, they look like they have never had a number pressed into them. What is the deal with these badges, anyone have any info? Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

That's how they shipped from the factory. Yet another wrinkle in the ever-increasing mystique of Ludwig Lore. No worries about authenticity.

Posted on 14 years ago

It was probably an early pre-production Vistalite kit given to an endorser to try. They used to do that to "test the market" and see if it would catch on in popularity. I think they nailed that in the 70's for sure! LOL!

Posted on 14 years ago

I am assuming we are talking blue and oval badge,I read I think in Rob Cook's book that the no ser# could be sets that had slight imperfections.

Posted on 14 years ago

Has to be B/O badges where Vistalites are concerned. Keystone was long gone on sets by then.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey Prostix,

I've ran across a few of these. I believe they might be from 71-73. I had a black and white swirl spy vs spy Vistalite kit with no serial numbers.(I'm told they stopped putting serial number on some drums around this time) The owner told me he bought them in 73 right off the floor. I just sold some 3 ply WMP's (B/O) on ebay and again no serial numbers. I've never understood how Ludwig missed this. On the Vistalites it seemed the badge was a foil if that makes sense and not as thick as a normal badge with a serial number. Could these be special order kits and they never bothered with the serial numbers? I've always wanted to know! Given the price I sold them for the lack of serial numbers actually decreased the value.

It's be interesting to know!!!

Posted on 14 years ago

a friend just gave me some drum gear to babysit while he renovates his basement, including a 14 X 5 lud snare, blue/olive badge, no serial number. I was going to post it but the question has been answered pretty much

Posted on 14 years ago

I own a silver sparkle set. All the drums, including a supraphonic snare, have date stamps of 1970 and all the B/O badges have no serial number.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here