Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Ludwig keystone badge snare

A guy threw this snare in when I bought some Slingerland drums from him. It is dirty and missing snares. It even had a tubesock and some foam inside it to mute it LOL.

My question is what number of snare strands would you put on and why? Your suggestion doesn't have to be the original number but what you think would sound best. What brand do you recommend too? Thanks guys!

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z392/ThatWasNow/

Check above link for a photo.

Posted on 12 years ago

Howdy - I would either put a set of original 60's Ludwig snares on it, or a set of brass Puresound wires. That drum is going to clean up really nice. Beautiful kit. I'm a sucker for red sparkle.

Enjoy,

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you very much John!

Take Care,

Lisa

Posted on 12 years ago

Lisa, Please post a few photos of the snare drum and the kit after you spruce them up. I'd like to see that kit all set-up.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

I use Puresound 16 strand wires on my Supra.

'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 12 years ago

i too usually like to use original ludwig snare wires on these. i like 18 or 20 strands on supras,usually 18. just about any wires will sound good on this drum though. i promise you!

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you to all of you for adding input!

I just ordered some Puresound brass 20 strand snares!!!! I cleaned the snare up well today, oiled the lugs and soaked the tension rods in WD40. Looking forward to putting the snare together.

Do Puresound snares come with cord? If not, I better order some.

Posted on 12 years ago

That's also a nice Premier Lokfast snare stand. Nice purchase!

Lee

Posted on 12 years ago

Yes, Puresound Snares do come with strapping. I just put a set on my early 60's Ludwig 13x3 piccolo snare today. They sound great!! The Puresound strapping has little cotter pins with them that hold snares on. Easy changing out to different snares if it is needed.

And John, I am a sucker for red sparkle too. I came across a 1976 Ludwig red sparkle kit and restored it. Absolutely love it!

-Justin

-Justin

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you Lee. Thanks for the info Justin.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here