Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Ludwig Jazz Festival question

Hi all,

Just got my first Jazz Festival last night and what a beauty!

Hard to believe it is over 40 years old, it looks brand new!

As this is my first Jazz Festival, I am not sure if the rims are original or the first owner switched them.

They are COB, but the bottom hoop doesn't have the ussual large hole for the snare wires to pass through, conecting it to the strainer. The way my supra does, and just about every other snare I have seen.

Instead it has two small holes , which the chord passes through, conecting the snares to the strainer and same thing on the other side, allowing the chord to pass through and connect the snares to the butt end.

Here is the serial number in case that helps : 81376, with the red felt baseball bat muffler.

Perhaps this is the way they first made rims for Jazz Fests?

Are they period correct? Worth more or less, than usual?

thanks!, I can supply pics if need-be.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 16 years ago

Wow,

I play my Jazz Fest all the time and I can't remember. I think it has the standard slot. I'm not sure if you have a factory variation of if you have a modified you rim. The rims were COB in the sixties and I think into at least part of the seventies. I used to have two of 'em, one silver sparkle and one BDP. I wish I'd kept the silver sparkle drum, I've got a '69 silver sparkle kit.

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

I have a pre-serial number keystone badge silver sparkle Jazz Festival and it has a slot for the strings (or plastic strip) holding the snares to pass through.

Posted on 16 years ago

Boy! I'm a few years late on this thread, but I had a similar question not long ago, that was answered before I posted a query.

I have a '71 Ludwig Standard snare with the same 2 hole set up. I thought it HAD to be an old school thing, but after looking at dozens of similar drums, I didn't see it anywhere. Looking with a magnifying glass, implied that they were "custom" work.

After nearly 2 years of wondering, an old friend popped up to solve the mystery. >>> The original owner sold him the set, without the snare. Then after some cajoling, the original owner threw in the snare.... in parts! with the snare side rim missing. No Worries, he thought, I have an old rim and a power drill... THAT'S EASY!!! (to borrow a quote from Monty Python & the Holy Grail - the bridge crossing questions scene).

So, he DIY'd it, then later sold the drums to someone else, who later sold them back to the original owner, who gave the snare to me - 2 holes intact - a decade later.

Food for thought. :2Cents:Party

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yup....if ever you are in a bind...all places are flat outta snaresides..just take the drill to a standard hoop.

Ech....I have never done it...but have been desperate enuff to a few times....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Just for fun - here's a pic of my Standard snare with the drilled holes for the snare cords. They've worked fine since '07.

1 attachments
...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here