Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Ludwig Interior stain color

Hi gang, my 69 Ludwigs have a stained wood interior on them.

[IMG]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5382656912_64ae5d5b3c_z.jpg[/IMG]

Now hear me out please.

I picked up a used pearl (Forum series) tom in silver sparkle which has a raw wood interior (birch 6 ply) and I'd like to stain it to match my ludwigs...I know I know a pearl will never be an old Ludwig but it was $15 on ebay and I wanted a 12" tom.

This is a players kit for me and Im not about to pass the pearl drum off as a ludwig but I'd like them to look kinda the same on the interior.

Tom sounds nice with my Luddy's so far but I'd like to stain the interior:

A: to match my Ludwigs

B: to provide some sort of a sealer on the wood.

Thanks

Shawn

Posted on 13 years ago

Your interiors aren't stained, but rather the result of finish oxidation (aka fading) over the years, as well as natural aging of the maple.

Want to reproduce that finish on new shells? I do it all the time. Go buy yourself Zinsser Bullseye Shellac, in both Clear and Amber. Every hardware store carries it. Mix them 3 parts Clear to 1 part Amber.

Here are pix of a Kent tom with this exact treatment that I did recently, to showcase what you can expect. It's the closest I've found to the original finish, and is a great sealer as a bonus, because unlike lacquer, which has a much higher viscosity that shellac, it penetrates. Brushing it on is best.

2 attachments
JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 13 years ago

Jr, another great tip thank you,

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

Jr, you are the man!

Thank you so much my friend!

Any tips on aging the wrap? The new silver sparkle is way to new looking to match the yellowed older silver sparkle.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here