Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Ludwig Hoops - Sky Blue

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Was wondering about the hoops ion this 1968? Bass Drum. Are they original?

I think they are plywood. The finish does not feel (or look) like it is original.

What should the finish be? Also, based on serial number 684079, is this drum a 1968 vintage? It has no tom mounting holes.

Also, what is the likelihood of finding a couple of toms to match?

Thank You. Any feedback is welcome.[/COLOR]

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

The original hoops would have been painted black with sky blue pearl in-lays. Based on the serial number given, this one would have been manufactured in 1969. Sky Blue Pearl toms can be found if you're not in a hurry to find them. They may cost you a "few pennies", however, if they're in decent shape. I personally love the SBP finish -- very classy IMHO.Clapping Happy2

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Thanks OldSchool. I will start searching for toms. Any favorite sources? I see all kinds of sites in Traps magazine. Being resourceful as I like to think of myself, and although the walnut color on the hoops is not original, I thought I might look for some walnut finish drums, or stain some shells myself. The hoops have kind of grown on me.[/COLOR]

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]A word of caution...the SBP faded in all different ways...some went white-blue...others olive-y....others a very pale slate-grey....

so if you think you have found the tom....try to do a color-match as best you can, because they can end up looking awfully different...even if they started out from the same factory and are close in age to each other.

You can easily get rabbeted maple hoops from drummaker.com or precisiondrum.com, paint 'em yourself and try to find some inlay. It's be a reproduction, but it'd bring the drum closer to original intent/aesthetic.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here