Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig Hi Hat Clutch Question

Maybe this is sorta basic, but I have a couple clutches and a bunch of clutch parts for my 60's ludwig hi hat stand. Some of the parts are original and some are not. I am trying to figure out the correct way the original went together. For instance I have the "Ludwig made in Chicago" ring but it just looks wrong were it is attached currently as a washer under the top hat.

I have searched for a pic on the net with no real luck, maybe someone has a good pic of the correct order of parts or an exploded view?

Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey there, brother - -

I don't have a photo or an iluustration to show you, but here's how those old style clutches work -

Starting from the top and going down, assemble it in this order :

1) smaller ring nut

2) larger ring nut

3) cymbal felt

4) cymbal

5) cymbal felt

6) "Ludwig Drum Co. Chicago" cup washer

7) wing nut

If you can, get hold of a length of surgical rubber tubing, like the kind they use in laboratories and hospitals - cut a piece about two inches in length, then stretch and roll it up over the threads between where the two felts go. It's a bit of an effort, but it'll act as a protective sleeve for your hi-hat cymbal. Even the older vintage cymbals with 1/2" holes will fit over it.

You'll likey have to widen the holes in the felts a little to accommodate the rubber tubing, but you can do that with a steak knife and a little care. These rubber tubing sleeves don't last all that long, and ought to be replaced every few months or so, but it's worth the effort.

Dig it !

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks cool cat! Kind of a silly question to ask, but I appreciate the response. I will take a look at my parts and see if it all makes sense.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here