Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Ludwig Hand Hammered Brass Snare Damaged....HELP!!

Hello Everyone,

First off I'm new here and thanks for having me, I look forward to getting the most info and helping in all things drums related that I can.

To make a not so long story shorter, I almost ran over my snare drum that was in a soft case this past weekend. I took the drum out of the case and saw that it was out of round with a couple of sections on the shell dented inward. Also the bearing edges have some damage..they are still smooth though for the most part. The hardware all looks ok except for maybe 4 tension rods are kaput. Does anyone have any experience in re-rounding the drum and rims etc? I would gladly send it somewhere if I knew of a good source to repair this. I called one drum shop in NY state and they suggested an auto body shop. I think they'd have the right tools for the job...but I dunno man. They may be ok with a car design, but I'm not confident they'd know the subtleties of a snare drum. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading my post. Russ

Posted on 5 years ago

First off welcome and I’m am sorry to hear about your drum I don’t know if any wAy to put back in round maybe a jig of some kind and a mallet good luck gary

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 5 years ago

Russ First of all how badly out of round is it and can you post a photo of damage on drum.

Posted on 5 years ago

From RSWILS

Hello Everyone,First off I'm new here and thanks for having me, I look forward to getting the most info and helping in all things drums related that I can.To make a not so long story shorter, I almost ran over my snare drum that was in a soft case this past weekend. I took the drum out of the case and saw that it was out of round with a couple of sections on the shell dented inward. Also the bearing edges have some damage..they are still smooth though for the most part. The hardware all looks ok except for maybe 4 tension rods are kaput. Does anyone have any experience in re-rounding the drum and rims etc? I would gladly send it somewhere if I knew of a good source to repair this. I called one drum shop in NY state and they suggested an auto body shop. I think they'd have the right tools for the job...but I dunno man. They may be ok with a car design, but I'm not confident they'd know the subtleties of a snare drum. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading my post. Russ

Apparently you did run it over, as with all traffic related damage to snare drums, which I don`t think I ever heard of,..a few pics of the drum would really help us see what you are up against.

There are a lot of high end classic car auto body guys that know what to do with your drum, I have seen some do amazing things, but you are gonna have to convince them to get off that 64 VW fender well and onto your drum. You may have done more damage to it than it`s worth buying a new one.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

Another possibility would be guys who repair brass instruments. Some of those guys can work miracles with old horns. Sounds like this would involve a similar skill set. Maybe it would be a two step process, get a body man to bang it more or less back into shape then a horn guy to do the fine adjustments.

Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks for the tips fellas. I guess I'll start with a auto body guy and go from there. I'll take some pics tonight and post them for you to see.

Posted on 5 years ago

Maybe your insurance will cover the accidental damage. Home or auto.

Posted on 5 years ago

I have to agree with K.O. Bring it directly to an expert instrument repair guy (not to some drum shop who is just going to ship it out to a repair technician). I've seen these guys do amazing work on severely damaged instruments (French horns, flutes, etc). These guys understand the importance of precision repair and adjustment; auto body repairmen wouldn't know that an ⅛" recess in a bearing edge could affect tuning. We have three fine instrument repair shops here in CT. Do an internet search and see if there are any expert instrument repair technicians in your area.

Good luck, and keep us informed. (and post some pics!)

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 5 years ago

From mchair303

I have to agree with K.O. Bring it directly to an expert instrument repair guy (not to some drum shop who is just going to ship it out to a repair technician). I've seen these guys do amazing work on severely damaged instruments (French horns, flutes, etc). These guys understand the importance of precision repair and adjustment; auto body repairmen wouldn't know that an ⅛" recess in a bearing edge could affect tuning. We have three fine instrument repair shops here in CT. Do an internet search and see if there are any expert instrument repair technicians in your area.Good luck, and keep us informed. (and post some pics!)Mike

Oh C`mon man. There`s guys that`ll turn it into a tank for a bike and keep it within Ludwig`s plus or minus tolerances if Ludwig had any.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

Heck just put on solid surface and roll it with your bod weight lol

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here