Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Ludwig floor tom re-rings

I need a set of re-rings for a 16" Ludwig mid 60's floor tom. Any leads or suggestions?

Posted on 7 years ago

Never mind!

Posted on 7 years ago

Shortest help thread ever! :D

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks John. I found an old shell that I'm going to try to remove the re-rings from and reinstall them in the shell I need them in. Do you know a good way to remove the rings without busting them up? Thanks, Jerry.

Posted on 7 years ago

Jerry - Honest, I have never removed the rerings from a shell so I can't offer any advice from experince. If I was to tackle the job I think I would use an oil painters pallet knife to gently pry the ring away from the shell. Start at the joint and work your way around. What I wouldn't do is anything drastic like trying to pop them off with a chisel or another heavy tool. Something thin like a pallet knife or a depth gauge to begin prying it away. You'll probably get much better advice than this, but it's how I would approach it.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

I would that think steam could be used to liquify the glue again for easier removal...If it`s an old junk shell, heating it from the outside of the shell might be enough to achieve this...

I`m just thinking outside the box is all here...I haven`t tried it myself...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 7 years ago

Thank guys for the advice. I'm going to take some time to research before I attempt anything.

Posted on 7 years ago

this will work if your removing from a junk shell, cut the ends of the shell off, 1-1/2"

next set up a router table with a fluted bit and a fence set to a distance of 3 ply shell thickness.

slowly turn ring into cutter, your ring will be free from shell, make sure you are removing no more than the shell thickness.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here