Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Ludwig Floor Tom Question

I have an old Ludwig kit that I might want to restore. The wrap in overall in great condition, but the previous owner lost alot of tension rods, bottom rims, and lugs. I have a question about the floor tom. The rest of the drums are wood on the inside, but the floor is painted a grey color inside. It looks factory, but don't know why they would paint just the floor tom. Any ideas? I thought at first this must have been added, but the serial #'s look close to me. Bass - 1127305, Tom - 1090536, Tom - 1128813, Floor 1128149 and the snare is stamped Aug, 30 1971 Model 404 (is that an Acrolite?) It's also missing some parts. Does anyone have any parts for sale? I'll sell the kit if interested. Thanks

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

There was somewhat of a trend in the 1970's for painting the inside of drums for extra resonance, and some manufacturers did it too, but I'm not sure if Ludwig ever did it. Could be the previous owner modified the floor because he wanted particular resonance from that drum?

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi.

Ludwig did some mix/match shells during that era. By that time, Ludwig was no longer tucking the wrap into the seams of the 3-ply shells, so it wouldn't have been out of the question for them to use whatever shells they happen to have on hand -whether the interiors were painted or not. There's really no rhyme or reason to it. Some of the shells that had interior blemishes or discolorations usually got the paint -and then subsequently a scheme was thought up to cover up the cover-up, stating that the paint helped resonance, etc.

The kit looks like a good candidate for restoration and they are definitely matched badge numbers, so that's a good thing.

Parts are available online.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Ludwig started using a granitone interior paint in the early 70's. Don't know why or how long it lasted. Looks like some drums were clear and some were painted. That is common of your set. I have a 1973-ish jazzette and the drums all have the granitone paint.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here