Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Ludwig Floor Tom Hoops

Greetings. My first post here. Walking

I've got a 70's Ludwig 3-ply kit...10x14 and 12x15 toms, 16x18 floor, and the big ole 26 inch bass. Got it used as a kid in the 80's and been playing it since. Its the only kit I've ever owned.

I was reskinning the toms this weekend, and my memory was refreshed regarding an issue with the 18 inch floor tom. The hoops on this thing barely let a drum key at the tension rods. I can't really get it on their square, have to turn them with the key sort of on at an angle. It's always been this way, and the hoops do seem perfectly round. The issue is on both top and bottom.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this with these hoops on this era of drum? The keys fit the other toms just fine.

Also, will I notice much of a sound change if I was to obtain to 2.3mm triple flanged hoops and put them on as a replacement? I wouldn't think it would. It's not exactly in collector's condition (wrap was stripped and shells were painted in an autobody shop back in the 90's :( ) so I don't mind using some modern hardware if it makes it easier to tune and such.

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Greetings. My first post here. Walking I've got a 70's Ludwig 3-ply kit...10x14 and 12x15 toms, 16x18 floor, and the big ole 26 inch bass. Got it used as a kid in the 80's and been playing it since. Its the only kit I've ever owned.I was reskinning the toms this weekend, and my memory was refreshed regarding an issue with the 18 inch floor tom. The hoops on this thing barely let a drum key at the tension rods. I can't really get it on their square, have to turn them with the key sort of on at an angle. It's always been this way, and the hoops do seem perfectly round. The issue is on both top and bottom.I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this with these hoops on this era of drum? The keys fit the other toms just fine.Also, will I notice much of a sound change if I was to obtain to 2.3mm triple flanged hoops and put them on as a replacement? I wouldn't think it would. It's not exactly in collector's condition (wrap was stripped and shells were painted in an autobody shop back in the 90's :( ) so I don't mind using some modern hardware if it makes it easier to tune and such.

I had that problem on my '83 Ludwig kit. I put diecast hoops on the floor tom and it fixed that problem. (I still have the original hoops in a safe place). I couldn't hear any differences (I know, I know) between the triple flange and the diecast hoops.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here