Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Ludwig Educator

These are my newly acquired Ludwig Educators.

Sizes here are 13", 16", 22". They are 4 ply maple.

They are not beautiful today, but my goal is to do them justice.

I only own 8 of the 24 plastic lugs. And there are 36 extra holes as the previous owner attempted to make them functional using single ended lugs.

Also missing is the Resonant hoop for the 16" and both hoops for the 13".

There is not a lot of information about these drums as they were only made for a very brief period. They were made as inexpensively as possible while Ludwig was trying to compete with the MIJ market. Because of this 2 sided Plastic lugs, mounts from the Standard series and tension rods from Club Dates were used.

If anyone has any information to add to what I have put here please feel free to. This is just the knowledge I've been able to gather in the past couple of weeks.

I will start restoring these ASAP

-Steven.

[IMG]https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1653624_10201659276070027_9580568_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1609996_10201659275990025_1810540096_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1779875_10201659275950024_1357082471_n.jpg[/IMG]

-Steven

1960's Camco Oaklawn
-13" 16" 20"
Sonor S Class
-12" 13" 16" 22"

Pork Pie Little Squealer Vented 13x7
Yamaha Kabuto Steel 14x5.5
Yamaha Aton Fig Signature 14x6.5
Ludwig 1964 Supraphonic 400 14x5
Ludwig 1968 Acrolite 14x5
SonorS Class 14x5
Posted on 10 years ago

ive never seen or heard of any 3 ply Ludwig shells without re-rings. Ludwig did have 4 ply and of course 6 ply without rerings. maybe yours are 4 ply?

this is a great set. looking forward to you getting them back in shape.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

From mlayton

ive never seen or heard of any 3 ply Ludwig shells without re-rings. Ludwig did have 4 ply and of course 6 ply without rerings. maybe yours are 4 ply?this is a great set. looking forward to you getting them back in shape.mike

Thank you Mike. I was mistaken, lol to quick in my counting.

I'm excited to get started on them!

Disassembly and cleaning tomorrow along with repairing any ply separation.

-Steven

1960's Camco Oaklawn
-13" 16" 20"
Sonor S Class
-12" 13" 16" 22"

SonorS Class 14x5
Posted on 10 years ago

Steven, those are going to look good. If your going to play them then I would replace all the lugs with metal ones, but keep the plastic ones. I have been told the hole spacing will work. I hope my ideas for plugging the holes will work for you but maybe someone will have a better idea. It would be tempting to order a sheet of those fast caps in a finished maple just to see how close the finish matches. If it looks good then it might be worth trimming down the fast caps to fit the holes. The wood plug idea is good also but you have to finish them. And I think that is the key right there, the finish. If it matches in color real good then the repair is a success. Someone also mentioned veneer, and that might be the way to go. I have some maple veneer (I think) that I could stain and finish to match my Educators wrap, then send it to you for plugging holes, just let me know!

Good luck!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

I agree with jeff on the lugs. my vistalite combo had the plastic lugs. even under moderate tension and playing, they will crack. I imagine of the age of them at this point is a big factor.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

I'd be interested in seeing what these plastic lugs look like

up close. Could you show both sides of one of these lugs? Thanx.

Posted on 10 years ago

That res head on the bass drum is AMAZING!!! So cool! Where do you get one of those?

Curtis

Posted on 10 years ago

Projects like this are really cool, and I DO appreciate the effort to keep this aspect of percussion history intact.

That said, judging by what I've seen here, I would tend to conclude that the Ludwig "Educator" line appear to be arguably the worst drums ever made. Yikes, plastic lugs?! And those long tension rods look like they're bowed in at a 20 degree angle. I think my old Stewarts would have blown these turds out of the water. :)

Posted on 10 years ago

the tension rods look longer than usual because they are. on center lug clubdate bass drums, you have longer bowtie lugs. on these, they use the same length lug as a snare drum, which makes them quite a bit shorter.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

From rogersfreek

I'd be interested in seeing what these plastic lugs look likeup close. Could you show both sides of one of these lugs? Thanx.

I'll try to bust out the camera tomorrow! Been a crazy week, hopefully I can document more soon.

From ec_curtis

That res head on the bass drum is AMAZING!!! So cool! Where do you get one of those?Curtis

I actually think that the owner before me may have used a projector and copied it over. It looks like he used a sharpie when you get up close lol.

From hardbat

Projects like this are really cool, and I DO appreciate the effort to keep this aspect of percussion history intact.That said, judging by what I've seen here, I would tend to conclude that the Ludwig "Educator" line appear to be arguably the worst drums ever made. Yikes, plastic lugs?! And those long tension rods look like they're bowed in at a 20 degree angle. I think my old Stewarts would have blown these turds out of the water. :)

I don't know about "the worst drums ever made". The shells are 4 ply maple, the hoops were the same as all other ludwigs, and the rest were club date and standard parts. But the plastic lugs kind of destroyed the potential everything else gave them.

That 20 degree angle is because there's no tension rods on the bottom half, so the ground is pushing the hoop up, which is pushing the tension rods up lol.

-Steven

1960's Camco Oaklawn
-13" 16" 20"
Sonor S Class
-12" 13" 16" 22"

SonorS Class 14x5
Posted on 10 years ago