Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Ludwig drums

Hello everybody.I have another question considering Ludwig drums.Here,on this site i have opportunyti to see shells from 50's and 60's,and read about their 3ply shell mahagony/poplar/mahagony and latter maple/poplar/maple,with reinforcment rings.There are Ludwig shells with painted interior.Can you help mi find timeline of this shells?What was first?Did they produced at the same time first and second type of shell?I read,that in 1976,they stop that and start producing 6 ply without reinforcment rings?There is a lot of discission here about 60's RB Gretch drums.How meny ply tyey were made off?I read somewher that company Jasper made shells for them,or I missunderstood it?

Best to all of you guys

Posted on 15 years ago

There is an area here called the Vintage Drum Guide that will educate and astound you. Dig deep into it and learn. It's a wonderful tool in your quest for knowledge.

I would also suggest the Ludwig book, the Slingerland Book, etc. These are excellent sources of information. Check into those, also.

Good Luck!

Posted on 15 years ago
Posted on 15 years ago

The guide is good, but it's just a guide. I have two sets of original Ludwigs -- one date-stamped Dec 11, 1969 and the other date-stamped Sept 14, 1968 -- and they both have white interiors. The guide seems to suggest that all the interiors were clear by late '68. :2Cents:

Posted on 15 years ago

It's a "guide", as in "generalities". One thing you can say as an absolute - there are NO absolutes where Ludwig is concerned. It's all "in general". If someone tells you that in 1968, the drums have clear interiors, then you can bet big bucks you will come across many drums dated 1969 with white paint. It's just how it was. Everything about Ludwig history is taken with a grain of salt. That's why you look at several items on a drum to get an ESTIMATE on date of manufacture. Even a date stamp is not totally conclusive.

Posted on 15 years ago

Since the discussion seems to have turned to a more general discussion on Ludwig shells, does anyone here know when Ludwig stopped date stamping their shells? I ask because my recent Rock Machine kit has no date stamps and I'm curious as to why they would do this.

Thanks - Clark "Ludwig" Kent :)

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here