Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Ludwig Drum Set

This is the first drum kit my dad purchased for me when I was in the 6th grade, which I've still got. All badges are Ludwig's pre-serial keystones, other than the floor tom, which has a serial number dating it to early 1964. Why, I have no idea.

You'll notice that the rack tom and bass drum are Club Dates, but the floor tom is a Ludwig Classic model. Another "mystery" to me. The snare drum is a pre-serial Jazz Festival.

I only wish that I had looked this good at 45!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

OldSchool!...

Now... just how neat is this???!!! I only wish I still had the first set that my folks bought for me... and they were Ludwigs too! ( I wanted Rogers! as I had already hooked on Buddy, and this was in 1967... but my dad said no... too expensive! ) GREAT that you still have these, and they look GREAT too! :-D

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yeah...makes you wonder sometimes if all of the old American mfr's occasionally just grabbed the most convenient drums with matching wraps and sent them off as a kit.

I have seen this with Rogers and Slingys too.

That's one CHERRY kit...wow....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

OldSchool... that is beautiful and amazing.. how in the heck did you keep that kit intact through your teens and twenties??? Man when I think of all the stuff I just destoryed making it "cooler".. you must have had your own special sense of value or a dad who knew the magic words to instill that from a very young age and make it stick.

That is amazing for so many reasons.. thanks for sharing .. I'm going to show that to my kid as a lesson in taking care of stuff!!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

TommyP: It's ALWAYS an honor to hear from you! You'll be happy to know that included in my meager collection are three ROGERS, yes I did say ROGERS kits -- A White Marine Pearl (calm down, please!) Holiday Kit with B&B Lugs from the late 50s-early 60s; a Black Diamond Pearl Holiday Kit from the early 60s that came with a matching George Way snare; and a Champagne Sparkle Pearl Holiday kit from the

mid-60s. Having said that, however, one's first kit, especially when received at an early age, seems to "out-rank" all the others obtained throughout the years. At least IMHO. THANKS for taking the time to read my post!

Jaye: Thanks for the feedback. BTW.....You're correct regarding the Rogers and Slingys also. I don't even try to figure it out anymore.

Jim: I appreciate the kind words! I can assure you that it wasn't easy keeping this one in the shape that it's currently in, especially considering the fact that I'm currently at the ripe old age of 56. I was EXTREMELY fortunate to have a father who was the greatest role model any son could ever hope for. He was extremely supportive of all my endeavors, whether in the classroom, on the athletic fields, or regarding my music. His personal work ethic was outstanding. Unfortunately, I lost him two years ago but a guy like that remains with you FOREVER, I can assure you.

Getting back to the condition of the kit......My second kit was an early 70s Slingerland Blue Satin Flame set. I happened to "loan it out" to an in-law who wanted to use it in her church group. Well.....I had almost forgotten that she still had it and when I finally did get it back and opened up the cases I couldn't believe the damage that was done to the ENTIRE kit. All the heads were ripped, the shells were chipped and there was some sort of liquid (alcohol perhaps?) poured over the finish on all four pieces. I decided right then that if I was ever going to make another "loan" to any type of church group Jesus himself would have to stop by to pick up the kit(LOL)! Good luck to your son in his musical endeavors!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]them church groups...they can get into some wacky partyin'....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

My dad, now 82, is a preacher.... one of his favorite jokes... "If there are four deacons together, there is usually a fifth!" :D

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

JIM: Your dad sounds like a very "WISE" preacher with a great sense of humor. That's a wonderful combination!

Posted on 15 years ago

Ludwig sold a three piece clubdate set in the 1960's that did not include a floor tom. Since the floor tom is newer than the set then maybe the store had the set as a three piece and then ordered the floor tom later so they could sell the set as a whole set. Either way, that set is a beauty!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago

You will notice that the black Rogers kit that is posted next to yours has the same configuration. Tower BD and rack with a Holiday FT. I think maybe the sold a lot of club dates and towers as 3 piece kits and didn't make as many floor toms in that line. When they got lucky and threw in a floor they would grab a holiday or a classic.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here