Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Ludwig Drum Set, Mid to Late 60's

Just looking for a few opinions. I have an opportunity to buy a Ludwig three piece kit (no snare) that is a 20 inch bass, 12 x 8 tom and 14 x 14 floor tom. Only problem is someone got rid of the rail mount and put a newer Ludwig 70's tom mount and there is extra holes. Comes with the original hoops and some cracks on the bass drum finish. Hardware needs cleaning. It was in a church for years and is now for sale at a local music shop.

My question is for a used set, in fair condition, white shells, stamped with the issues listed. What would you pay for it?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Hello??? Anybody there?? Should I mention that this kit is still for sale and is Black Diamond Pearl? Still would like to hear from some of you fellow forum guys

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Sweet sizes, especially that floor tom. I would pay whatever they are asking if it sounds fair.

Regardless, BDP is not on the high end ranking for most popular vintage finish. In fact I would say it is on the lower level of the scale.

With that said, I know there are others that love the finish. My statement is just based on sales

So those drums in those sizes are doing well on Ebay.

With the modifications and issues $400 is what I would pay, others might want it for $50, but someone 'might' pay $400 just for the floor tom.

I know, that info is no help, but it is a tough question to answer directly and it really depends on the situation.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

HI Backbeatkeeper,

The 14"x14" floor tom and 12"x8 rack tom are a good find, it almost completes a real be-bop kit. However, the 20" dia bass drum is the issue. To complete a nice be-bop kit an 18"x14" dia bass drum is prefered. As it is the bass drum already has issues, ie. extra holes and scratched wrap. So, if both toms are in very good condition; say a 8 out of 10 for a 60's keystone badge in BDP, I would say it's a good deal at $475 for the entire kit. I believe the 14"x14" floor tom may be worth more than the bass drum.

Good Luck!

Mr Boom Daddy

Posted on 17 years ago

A couple of other things,

I believe the kit you have described is a Ludwig Super Classic according to the sizes you mentioned. Also, my first thought for a fair price started me at $400, then I thouight alot about that floor tom....hmmmm, what would someone pay for a nice condition 14"x14" BDP Keystone? The color is actually a favorite of mine. I have a 1969 Rogers kit in BDP. So, I went a bit higher because of the color. I'm sure everyone has a favorite color so opnions will always vary. If you really like the color then you may want to pay up to $475

Again, good luck!

Mr Boom Daddy

Posted on 17 years ago

The store it's at has it listed at $775.00, without a snare, but does have the original bass drum cymbal mount and arm, bass drums hoops, lugs, floor tom legs, etc. I'm sure I could get it for less than that with cash, but the issues with the bass drum and extra holes kind of put me off a bit. Just was looking to see how much others would pay.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here