Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Ludwig diecast hoops

I have a Ludwig 552 bronze 14 x 6.5. It was a bit molested when I got it. Superb drum. I put a new P85 strainer back on it (can't fix the hole from the Pearl throw) and it currently has a Gibraltar wood hoop on top as the original diecasts were long gone. At least I think it would have had die cast hoops once. Any chance that I could buy a Ludwig set? Or should I just look for generic ones? I played it for the first time in a few months last night and although I put the wood hoop on the drum to damp it down a bit for small rooms, now I think it's too dead. I found genuine Tama die casts for my BE345 snare drum and the sound of the drum actually improved a lot. Looks like what I need is an L-4143/4146.

Ok I found new Ludwig hoops, chrome or brass. They will cost me over $200 to Sydney. Hmmm. The brass do look nice. But people say the old dual channel hoops are better. What do you think?

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 10 years ago

Did you find the Tama rims locally? Try and do the same with the Ludwigs; ordering from these companies is an exercise in pure frustration, they will make you wait for months, and international shipping has become flat out stooopid expensive.

I know I'll never again buy anything that isn't right there in front of me....and this is a bit of a rant. :)

Mitch

Posted on 10 years ago

I really like the aesthetics of the Ludwig Twin Channel die-cast hoops.

However, I haven't done any direct comparisons to the new style die-cast.

I did compare the Twin Channel to a Ludwig triple flange by suspending and stiking them. The triple was flat and dull sounding without any life, while the Twin was bright and resonant, and just sang out more like a triangle.

Now, once either style hoop are attached to the drum head and lugs you may reason that there is little difference between hoop sound and I wouldn't argue the point!

I reply in another thread a while ago and just hought I'd qutoe the post to share the pics.

From Hoppy

I have one of these too.I was initially drawn to the drum due to its unique look. Not many folks had these drums way back when. The bonus was that it sounded fantastic to my ears. After I got this drum my Black Beauty was relegated to the shelf. I used the 483 (Coliseum) as the mainstay and the 552 to my left (swapping positions periodically). We can compare / contrast hammering between drums.I got mine mid-eighties. Chicago manufactured serial number is: 3112465 (maybe we can place the drums better via SN's).The hammering or stippling marks is both smaller and greater in number on my shell. [IMG]http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31443&stc=1&d=1312128347[/IMG][IMG]http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31445&stc=1&d=1312129279[/IMG]

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here