Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Ludwig cymbal mount spacing

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of restoring a WMP Ludwig kit 22, 13, 16 and was wondering what the spacing of the cymbal mount is between the bass drum lugs. The bass drum is dated 1960 and did not come with the cymbal mount. The drum already has 6 extra holes drilled into it so I figure what's 2 more.

Thanks

Posted on 12 years ago

2 more holes is two more holes! If you are "restoring" the drum, plug the extra holes, drop in some wrap patches and call it a day. Adding two new holes is only making a bad thing worse.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Not sure of the spacing but adding a cymbal mount and plugging the extra holes seems reasonable to me.

Posted on 12 years ago

i'm with you at this point 2 more holes is realy! no big deal . after you plug the holes and i assume that you will re-wrap the kit , with the cymbal mount on the bass , very cool i like that . sorry i do not know the exact spacing but i'm sure some body here got the template .

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 12 years ago

They are your drums, do what you want with them. Don't let anyone try to tell you what to do. If you put it in the factory position there shouldn't be any issues. The drum already has extra holes so it's no longer collector grade so no worries. I have my 22" ride on my shell mounted cymbal arm and I love it.

I will get you the hole spacing in a little bit.

Posted on 12 years ago

the mount is centered front to back and between the lugs around the circumference.

The spacing of the holes is 1 7/8", center to center and the diameter of the stanchion's that fit into the shell holes is 5/16th". Ludwig usually used a slightly larger hole but I usually drill them with a matching bit so they are nice and snug. The bigger holes gives you more latitude in your accuracy in your hole placement.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the help / advice guys. These drums fall into the players grade and I already have a spare mount & 'L' rod so I figure why not. The six extra holes were the result of 2 rails being used. I think the bass drum mounted cymbal really ads to that vintage look. I still need to repaint the interiors of the rack and floor toms and find a complete consolette rail assembly with the L arm as the tom is early 64. It was rumored from the guy I bought the kit from that it was used on the Red Skelton Show. I see 'Red Skelton Show' in red ink on the inside of the rack tom, but nowhere else. I think someone used a red pen and wrote it in there to try and up the value of the kit. Guess I will never know.

On a side note the WMP was quite yellowed and dull. I used the Novus 2 on them (3 applications) then a coat of Eagle One Wet Look wax. The results were amazing. The wrap still has some yellow, but man does it glow. Once it's all complete I will post some pics.

Thanks

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here