Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Ludwig Cub Date

Hi. new here. I bought this little set that I think is a Club Date at a Garage sale a couple weeks back....But one thing kinda strange, but all else points to it being a Club Date..The 20 inch bass drum has one piece tension rods from one end to the other..One end has faucet handles for tuning, other end just has has claws with no adjustment..

I think photos of earlier club dates were like this from what I have seen in photos..But the old guy told me around when he purchased it, said it was around the mid sixties..The serial number and dates inside the shells confirm this..

Maybe it is not a Club Date but another similiar model?

The Snare he bought at the same time is a Slingerland..Wish he would have bought the Ludwig one but that is all he could afford at the time..

They are not on it now, but the tom tom had the original weather-master heads from when it was new I believe..Bass drum still has the original heads I believe..Slingerland Snare had the original heads yet too I believe..

The Floor Tom is a whole different story..It did not come with a floor tom..I made that.

Anyway here is a pic and any input sure is appreciated..I have a Spur- Lok vintage Hi Hat stand coming..But will need some decent Hi Hats for it..Do not need anything high end..Just workable..

Going to put an ad here and hopefully come up with something I can afford..

Anyway sorry about the long ramblings....Thanks

Posted on 2 years ago

20" club Date lug Single tension

was part of a few out fits- what is a little different- is were mostly Duco not Pearl

so

https://vintagedrumguide.com/

to Ludwig

to drum sets

https://vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig_drumsets.html

https://vintagedrumguide.com/images/ludwig_sets/spotlight/1960_spotlight.jpg

there's single tension Club lug bass drums on the lower outfits.

So non-cataloged episode

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 2 years ago

Bruce, glad to see you got on the board finally. I'm DrumBob here on this forum.

'23 DW Collector's, Black Galaxy: 13/16/18/22/14 sn.
'01 DW Collector's, Oyster White: 8/10/12/14/16/22.
'24 DW Performance, Gold Sparkle, 12/14/20.
'59-ish Slingerland Pink Sparkle, 13/16/22.

'72 Slingerland Red Tiger Pearl: 12/13/16/16/22.
'70ish Slingerland Merlot Sparkle rewrap: 13/16/24.

'68ish Slingerland rewrap: 13/16/22.

'69 Rogers Holiday, Red Onyx: 13/16/24
'67 Ludwig Burgundy Sparkle: 12/13/16/22.
'70-ish Ludwig Std, Burgundy Oyster: 13/16/22.
'69-ish MIJ Drum Mate: Peacock Pearl: 13/16/22.
'67-ish MIJ Crown, Red Sparkle, 12/13/16/22.

'67-ish,. MIJ Drum Mate, Blue Oyster, 12/13/16/22.

Posted on 2 years ago

Bob

Thanks alot for the help getting aboard..

I have looke at the spotlight literature,,But it seems the spotlight used a different setup than the Club date, especially the way the cymbal mounted to the bass drum.. I sure am no expert on the period..But am willing to learn from those that do.

Posted on 2 years ago

nobody's "an expert"...on the past- unless they were there- and even then... :)

Dealers would receive orders from the factory and sometimes it wouldn't be exact, different or dealers would just ask generally for items and what came in....Came in.

the drums you have they came to the dealer - and very hard impossible to know what or how were the circumstances. It wasn't the exact "science" it "appears" to be today

that's my best guess

(we were car dealers for 70 years my family 1948-2018)

franchised Dealers sold what the company sent them- Ludwig -if that drum is all original and it appears to be- made it

Some dealer sold it.

That's all we know +/-

we can see single tension Dance bass drums weren't entirely unusual it being white marine pearl and having the rail mount and whatever else makes it unique

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks Joe

It is a cool little set regardless of the nuances..

I only paid 20.00 for the basic set at Garage Sale..That was for the Bass drum, Bass drum Ludwig Pedal, Tom Tom, Cymbal and holder, Slingerland Snare and stand with carry case...

But now with new heads, putting together the semi matching 14 x 14 Floor Tom and the Hi Hats and Hi Hat stand I have coming..Quite a bit more,LOL..

Posted on 2 years ago

As the wise old man from the mountain top might say: "You did well, grasshopper".

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks

I of course am keeping the original Drum Heads stored safely away..I think they are the originals that were on the Drum kit from the start..I replaced them with new Vintage coated ambassadors I think they arde.

Mime Kit is definitely White Marine Pearl..The Floor Tom is a newer Ludwig 14x14 Floor Tom drum carcass..That I put Vintage Club Date matching center lugs on and wrapped it with some vintage looking wrap..Looks OK I guess..

Some may not like doing that..But I see no harm in using vintage parts to put stuff together..A lot of drums seem to be getting parted out now..Just a more profitable venture for people I guess to part them..Sad, but I guess we need parts for everything vintage we restore or fix up..

I bought a vintage Ludwig Porto throne today from a guy here local, that is what I think it is anyway...When my Hi Hat stand and Hi Hats get here midweek I will post a photo of of the whole set again..

Sorry about the misspelled Title..It is not a Cub Date of course..LOL

Posted on 2 years ago

Here is a updated pic of where the Club Date is now..I am at the point where it is at a level I can play and live with..I bought a nice matching 1965 Pioneer Snare..I built a 14x14 Floor Tom and wrapped it is a Vintage looking wrap..I will keep an eye out for a matching original Floor Tom..But that Snare cost me way too much already..

I added a Ludwig Spur Lock Hi Hat stand and a lower end set of small 10 inch SH Stagg Hi Hats..They were recommended to me as pretty good Hi Hats for not alot of money..And they do sound real good, to me anyway, for lower end ones..

I have decided to maybe paint the Bass drum hoops yet..What would be the appropriate paint for the Black trim around the Hoops? Probably an Oil Base I suppose? Thanks

2 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

Just went with a plain old gloss black Rustoleum Spray Paint..Took all afternoon..But looks pretty decent..Thanks

1 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here