Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Ludwig Cortex Wrap removal help

I may have to strip a white cortex 15x12 luddy tom from 80' or 81'. I've mostly read that the cortex wraps are hard to strip, but do-able. I also read somewhere that the end of the wrap, under the over lap, is tucked into the outer wood ply. Is this true? I have no problem spending an hour with a heat gun and furniture stripper, but I don't want to mess with it if it's tucked into the wood.

Posted on 8 years ago

The drum in question should not have the wrap embedded into the scarf joint of the shell, because there is no scarf joint on that era shell. You should have a 6-ply maple shell and those were made in a high heat/pressure mold to appear seamless. I believe Ludwig uses that machinery to this day in the Monroe plant.

The shells that had the wrap embedded into the scarf joints were 3-ply shells with reinforcing rings. Ludwig stopped offering them about 1976. And IIRC they stopped that method of attaching the wrap before forming the shell in the mid-1960's. The wrap was applied to the outer ply of the shell before it was formed up in the shell mold, hence the wrap in the scarf joint of the shell.

There should just be an overlap of the wrap on the outside of the shell of your drum. Should not be an issue to remove, just go slowly and carefully. Using a heat gun helps as well.

Posted on 8 years ago

I just did 3 three ply shells with white cortex. I had a heat gun and a scraper and just took my time. About a hour and a half for my 18" floor tom. That was my last and fastest time of my 20" and 26" bass drum. I don't think the cortex will catch on fire as easily as a wrap. That was my experience any way. I agree with all comments made already as well.

Good luck!

Curtis

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here