Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Ludwig Cortex - What to do?

I was given 3 shells of a Ludwig Cortex in Walnut wrap - 16" floor, 13" rack, and 12" rack, all in great condition, just needs heads and a couple of rings.

I also have a '70's Slingerland 3 ply, no re-rings in 20" bass, 16" floor, 12" rack. Missing some hardware, wrap pulled off, but was apparently a gold sparkle.

Do I wait for a kick to match the Ludwig? And how much would be too much to pay? ,,,,OR.....Restore the Slingerland, which basically needs everything but a few lugs and leave it unwrapped? ....OR....Sell it all and buy a kit that suits my needs?

Help!

Posted on 9 years ago

If the wrap is already off the Slingerland, you could wrap it in any finish you like guilt free. The collector value is already gone but the process could be fun and rewarding. So long as the sizes suit you.

The ludwig on the other hand is not the most desireable finish, but somebody may be looking for those. You never know. I understand that cortex is actually vertical grade (thin) Formica. You could always see if they still make that style and wrap an orphan kick drum.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply clubdate64.

The Slingerland is small and light and more of the sound i "think" I want to have around. I'm a guitarist and just looking for a kit for visiting drummers. I'm thinking the Ludwig might be a better all around kit and potentially more valuable if I put my efforts there. Also its in great shape in comparison to the Slingy. I'm hoping to land a matching bass drum.

The kit type I have in mind would be a funk, jazz type of sound. I'm worried the Luddy would be too heavy and rock sounding. But I could be wrong?

Posted on 9 years ago

Sadly ludwig kits nearly always fetch more money than Slingerland ones do. Doesn't mean they are better. Just more brand recognition.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 9 years ago

I'm thinking I'll sell it all... Anyone for a set of 3 Ludwig Cortex Toms in Walnut (12", 13", and 16")?

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here