Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Ludwig Concert Tom Bottom Hoop Restoration

I have a Ludwig Concert Tom bottom aluminium rim that needs light restoration. Has anybody polished these up with say wire wool? These are a little dented and the finish needs improving. Advice appreciated.

Posted on 3 years ago

Post up a pic of what you have,, (Eg: concert toms don't usually sport a bottom hoop)??

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 3 years ago

It’s similar to this. Sorry it is a rim not a hoop - edited my post now. It’s removed from the drum at the moment.

Posted on 3 years ago

They are made from anodized aluminum. Steel wool will scratch them. I would use a polish like Flitz or Simichrome.

Pictures of the actual pieces in question would be helpful.

Posted on 3 years ago

Some photos of the actual item. The previous owner has already removed some of the anodising unfortunately so I think i have to remove it all then polish and perhaps wax.

Posted on 3 years ago

Autosol Metal polish & soft cloth does a decent job on aluminium... I use it on shells, lugs & any metal fittings. I recently added a little "pizzaz" to an exposed section of a Remo BD aluminium hoop on my drum...

A tube seems to last forever too...

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 3 years ago

I agree that Flitz works great. For those deep scratches and chips, you can try smoothing them with very fine emory cloth. I would start with 1000 or 1500. It will leave a slightly flatter (less shiny) appearance, but will blend in better than the scratches and nicks. First test the abrasive on a small section on the inside of the trim that won’t be seen when installed on the drum.

Posted on 3 years ago

Thanks - great advice.

Posted on 3 years ago

Having seen them, I probably would use a scotchbrite pad and give them a brushed finish and then clear coat them.

Posted on 3 years ago

Check with local auto restoration shops. They can or know of someone who polishes aluminum trim on car restoration. They should be able to do the work or advise how to polish without scratching.

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here