Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Ludwig Combo Hybrid

I'm finally almost done my Ludwig rewrap. Last summer, I picked up a 1965 Ludwig Combo (8x12 and 14x20) in red lacquer. It was in rough shape: the finish needed help, and someone had used the 12" tom as a planter. The seller didn't remove the potting soil before shipping it.

I found a 1966 bare 12x15 shell, grabbed a set of bowtie lugs, and gradually bought the missing hardware. I'll be replacing the double-braced monstrosity on the left with a Ludwig flat-based stand. And in addition to the invaluable knowledge I pick up every day on the forum, a couple of members helped with parts: Bernie (I can't remember his forum handle!) sent me the cymbal arm, and Crash is sending me a beautiful Acro to complete the set. Thanks, guys!

I've wrapped it in blue peacock satin. It's not a period-correct wrap, but I've always loved satin finishes.

It's taken me nearly a year to get it done -- not so much because there was a lot of work, but because I've got a little girl who takes up most of my time. (I wouldn't have it any other way.) I still need to finish the bass hoops, but I had the house to myself for an hour this afternoon and couldn't resist setting it up and playing it for the first time. And my daughter had a go at it when she got home!

2 attachments
Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

SO this is the future owner of the cool kits you now have, does she always play with the butt end of the sticks??Funny Post

Her technique is a little rough at this stage. Next week, we start on triple ratamacues. D' Drummer

And yeah, I've already earmarked the Luddy as her kit if she decides to take up drumming when she gets older. (The Gretsch will not leave the house!) :)

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here