Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Ludwig COB B/O Pointy Badge Supra Phonic 6?1/2x14? rare?

I have a COB Supra phonic that is a bit of an oddity. I can?t quite place what year or years they made these and if they are rare. I have confirmed it is a Ludwig Supra Phonic COB 6?1/2 x 14? B/O pointy badge serial# 1917775. The only thing I replaced were the tension rods as I like the look of the long shouldered Super Sensitive rods, (the original tension rods were odd length and most were not Ludwig made, the drum was greasy and did not look like it was taken care of. However, underneath all the grime the chrome was free of pitting and shined up very well). Anyway, does anyone know approximately how many of these were made and what year they started the pointy badge COB Supra?s? Are these drums a rarity? In my pictures the snare drum on the left is a late 70?s early 80?s Ludwig Supra COB B/O rounded badge snare with the BR over the tone control knob and is the same weight as the Ludwig Supra to the right which is the pointy badge COB snare drum in question.

Thank you in advance!

Mr. Boom Daddy

Posted on 17 years ago

and what is that weight for both drums?

Thanks

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi David,

The weight on each snare drum is 10 3/4 lbs.

Posted on 17 years ago

In regards to weight,

I am going to my bud's metal foundry today for a more accurate scale reading of the two Supra's. I think my scale is off a little, on the plus side. I'll report later on what the outcome is.

Thanks!

Mr Boom Daddy

Posted on 17 years ago

My result from the metal foundery are in.........

The Supra to the left with the BR over the tone control weighs 10.25 lbs. This particular Supra came from Billy Jeansonne's collection and was sold to the gentleman I bought it from. I would not test it for brass as it is in prestine condition and Billy Jeansonne's reputation stands on its own.

Now, the Supra to the right with the pointy badge. It weighs in at 10.3 lbs just slighty more than the other Supra. If you'll notice where I took a knife to the casing hole near the B/O badge you can see what looks like brass. I then confirmed it as brass when a torch was taken to the shavings at the foundry and an undeniable color illuminated which brass produces unlike other metals with different alloy properties. This is a great test for confirming COB which I highly recommend. I believe this coupled with the weight test is a great way to test for COB.

However, I still do not have an answer to my original questions Violin

Thank you,

Mr Boom Daddy

Posted on 17 years ago

Yes they are rare. You do not see many of them and were more then likely a special order. The badge link at the top will take you to info on the badges.

I think in general production quantity is rarely accurate and those numbers would not be available. You really need to go on how many you have seen over the years and I have probably seen 5-10 drums that have that badge and are brass, but not all in your shell depth.

Billy Jeansonne, is a vintage drum friend and I remember that drum if it is the same drum being sold some where.

Other then that you have two nice drums there...

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Thank you David,

Yes, I believe the Ludwig Supra COB B/O (rounded badge) is the same snare drum Billy had unless he has more of these. It looks brand new, Billy said it was either late 79 or 80. I believe it was stated that this was a special order COB Supra.

In regards to the Ludwig Supra COB B/O (pointy badge); the closest I've seen to what I have are 70's 5"x14" Black Beauties which is not very close at all I guess.

Thank you again for the information, I'll keep the pointy badge COB around for quite awhile.

I have many other questions about drums in my collection. Your info. is greatly appreciated now and in the future. I hope the members of this forum will chime in with information as well. This is a great site and support area for vintage collectors. How lucky we are to have second home!

Sincerely,

Mr. David "Boom Daddy"

PS: Yes, my name is David too!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here