Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Ludwig Classic Tom/Floor Tom Leg Brackets-Re-threading the eye bolt to 8 mm

Hello,

This is a continuation/evolution of this thread:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=61490

I re-threaded the eye bolts on a set of three Ludwig floor tom leg brackets, so they would be 8 mm threading instead of the default 5/16". Mainly because the large T-nuts Ludwig supplies with the new brackets are so big, that they are unusable because they hit the shell as you turn them. Finding replacements at the hardware store doesn't work either, because they are small wing nuts and it's hard to get any torque on them because of their size.

My project was successful and accomplished what I wanted. Now I can use any 8 mm cymbal stand wing nut, which I have plenty of and are readily available, and it gives me a nice size wing nut to grip but still looks classy.

In the pictures below, the first shows the standard eye bolt (bottom) and the one I re-threaded (top).

The second picture shows the original (left) and the re-thread (right).

The third picture shows the re-thread with nice size wing nut on the left and the original with the puny wing nut on the right.

The fourth picture shows the ridiculous T-nut that Ludwig supplies with the bracket, that literally hits the shell when you try to turn it.

I plan on doing this to all of my Ludwig brackets eventually.

FYI-If anyone else plans on doing this, the thread size you need is 8 mm x 1.25. Don't get 8 mm x 1.0, because that is fine thread and not standard.

V

4 attachments
105.6 kB
95.9 kB
95.9 kB
Posted on 6 years ago

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-P16581-Spacer-for-P1216D-Floor-Tom-Mounted/272524433559?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Would these spacers also take care of the issue? I have the old style Ludwig floor Tom brackets. My kick drum came with the newer ones like your photo but I changed them out last year when I reconditioned my kit.

Posted on 6 years ago

Not to sound like Jerry Seinfeld, but...

"What's the deal with the spacers? Why doesn't Ludwig just include them with the bracket, when they know you need them"?

Those spacers are used so that the brackets sit further away from the shell, so the legs wont hit the bottom rim of your floor tom, which is a common problem when used without the spacers. This would also solve the T-nut issue from touching the shell, but still? Why wouldn't Ludwig just include the spacers with every bracket they sell? Especially when they have figured out that without them there can be problems. Seems odd to me.

Posted on 6 years ago

Completely agree that Ludwig should supply a spacer with each bracket! I stumbled onto them by accident when I was customizing my Classic Maple Downbeat kit some years ago. The 1216 brackets allow the legs to rub against the bottom rim. Found the spacers on eBay and ordered 3. Used them with vintage first-generation P1216 brackets and couldn't have been happier with the results. Come on Ludwig, this is a no-brainer...include them with brackets!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

Very nice kit. How long are the floor tom legs?

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here