Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

ludwig buyer checklist/ advice

hi ,

I've just bought a ludwig transition badge kit,Excited 20 kick, 16 floor and 13 tom. Before i go pick it up has anyone any last minute advice on things to check before parting with the cash!

it's dated in shells 11 may 1960 (factory matched)

been recovered (20years ago)

will it have a paint finnish inside?

is it going to be 3 ply mixed woods?

will it have support loops in the shells? (ive read this is the case sometimes)

many thanks

Posted on 17 years ago

All shells should be with re-rings inside. This was a transition period so they may be painted inside or could be without paint. I saw a same era set with no paint in the bass, maple inside, and the toms were painted white, and appeared to be mahogany under the paint (the white paint had some slight wood grain showing under it).

I think the bass on this set was from '59, though. There is info online as to the general time frame they started painting interiors white. Of course no serial numbers and they could be either transitional badges or the gold keystone type.

If it is a rewrap then you should look for extra holes drilled or plugged inside the shells, and obviously a rewrap isn't worth as much money. Maybe some others will chime in here.

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

hi ,I've just bought a ludwig transition badge kit,Excited 20 kick, 16 floor and 13 tom. Before i go pick it up has anyone any last minute advice on things to check before parting with the cash!it's dated in shells 11 may 1960 (factory matched)been recovered (20years ago)will it have a paint finnish inside?is it going to be 3 ply mixed woods? will it have support loops in the shells? (ive read this is the case sometimes)many thanks

If you "just bought" these drums then your questions are moot and should have been asked before you paid the money...hopefully you won't get any surprises...good luck.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 17 years ago

sorry just bought ( on internet )not seen them up close , picking the drums up at the weekend.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here