Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Ludwig Buddy Rich Snare question

I recently picked up a Ludwig Buddy Rich Super Classic snare dated Oct 22.1958. I was told it is 3 ply maple and mahogony but also heard it is 100%mahogony with maple rings. The inside is not painted. Can someone tell me what wood this snare consists of. Photo attached.

Thanks, John

1 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

I would think it would be 3 ply mahogany-poplar-mahogany with maple re-rings. Can you provide a photo of the interior, and a close up of the bearing edge?

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago

JohnG/mlvibes...

Your drum IS a 3 ply: mahogany/poplar/mahogany w/maple rings. It is NOT solid mahogany. I have this exact drum only it's a '55 w/chrome hardware. The Buddy Rich Classic! These are very nice sounding drums given their 3 ply make-up... meaning that despite the low fundamental of the shell, they are very articulate and speak well in a variety of situations. No need to see the interior! Here's a link to a brief overview of mine and a pic: http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705 ENJOY!!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Tommyp.

Thanks for the info. Your drum is in fantastic condition. My snare needs some good cleaning as you can tell from the pic. I'll take my time and use the info this site about cleaning/restoring. Any other tips on how to get mine into tip top shape or what to look out for when I take it apart ? This will be my first project of this nature.

Thanks again.

John

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey JohnG!

Nothing really to add... sounds like you have a good bead on it! I would do a COMPLETE detail though... which will mean taking the entire drum apart right down to the bare shell. Then, have at it!! The "cleaning/restoration" info on this site is excellent and will yield great results. Have fun!! Then,

When all is said and done, and you are playing your little gem, you will have a sense of pride that goes beyond the "sound" of the drum... and that's one of the BEST intangible's!!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here