Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Ludwig brass/bronze Supraphonic, c.1979-80

band2 Help2

Ludwig brass/bronze supraphonic, c.1979-80? This late 70's drum causes a lot of confusion, and false claims in the market place. The difference in sound may be a matter of aesthetics and taste, but the difference monetarily is substantial . The world of drummers has privileged the brass one, so it would be nice to have some clear way of distinguishing them. I've heard several things, and have even read a Q&A article asking Bill Ludwig himself. Each explanation seemed unsatisfactory, and I'm appealing to anyone who can shed light on this drum.

1. It is frequently repeated that the stamping "B" on the shell marks one that is brass. But I've also heard that at another point, in this time period, the stamp meant bronze.

2. The natural/lacquered shell of brass is rumored to be lighter in color (golden) from the darker/redder bronze.

3. The difference in sound will reveal which is which. (unfortunately, sound differences can be subjective and ineffable).

Could anyone add or subtract from this list ? Thanks tdennis

Posted on 16 years ago

I have read a few articles on the amazing Supra, and own a '66 alloy myself which is my primary snare. From what I have read, the bronze shells were stamped BZ and brass was stamped B or BR. Hope this helps.

Rgds, John

Posted on 16 years ago

John G, Thanks for this new information. TDflowers2 Violin

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here