Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Ludwig Bowtie Lugs

This may not be news to a lot of you, but it might be informative to some (like me) who are new to "vintage drum restoration."

All Ludwig bowtie lugs are not created equal. I just discovered this after buying a couple of "new" lugs off ebay to have for spare parts. Turns out that the swivel nut bases in these "new" lugs are hexagonal while the swivel nuts in all the old lugs I've dealt with in the past have had square bases. The older nuts with square bases will not fit in the new lug casting. Also, the mounting base flange of the casting is thinner on these "new" lugs. I don't know if these "new" lugs are made by Ludwig or some after market replicas.

Hope this prevents someone making a mistake.

1 attachments
Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

From GG Vintage

This may not be news to a lot of you, but it might be informative to some (like me) who are new to "vintage drum restoration."All Ludwig bowtie lugs are not created equal. I just discovered this after buying a couple of "new" lugs off ebay to have for spare parts. Turns out that the swivel nut bases in these "new" lugs are hexagonal while the swivel nuts in all the old lugs I've dealt with in the past have had square bases. The older nuts with square bases will not fit in the new lug casting. Also, the mounting base flange of the casting is thinner on these "new" lugs. I don't know if these "new" lugs are made by Ludwig or some after market replicas.Hope this prevents someone making a mistake.

They are not reproductions, they are genuine Ludwig. They have been changed several times over the years due to the tooling wearing out. They have done "improvements" to the lugs over the years, this is why things are not interchangable. Ludwig lugs can't be reproduced in the aftermarket due to a copyright that Ludwig renews regularly. If someone tries they will be sued for copyright infringement.

The new lugs are similar and are a close match, but not an exact duplicate of previous generation Ludwig lugs.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hello to all!

I'm am in need of a square base swivel nut for a 68 Acrolite which has the bowtie lugs. If anybody has either a square swivel nut or the whole lug with the square swivel nuts and is willing to part with it, please contact me.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here