Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Ludwig Boom Stands

Is anyone aware when Ludwig began making boom cymbal stands ? Was there an Atlas model ? I know that they made them in the mid and late '70's (tubular stands) but am curious about the earliest ones.

Posted on 16 years ago

PM Ludwigvondrumcrazy

He is pretty up on the Ludwig stands...

He probably is knee deep in Flitz, so be patient...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

You aren't too far off the mark David, the Flitz has been a flying, heck, I even broke from "policy" and have been working entry level Tama & Premier "stuff" from the 1980's to get it spruced up for resale. It's been a busy X-Mas at the Shop with used, entry level Kits & Drums in high demand............

Ludwig introduced the No.1410 Atlas Cymbal Boom Stand in 1975 via a one page Flyer. The first version had Tubular Legs, which were also introduced that same year, with ?button feet,? or as Ludwig called them, Self Leveling Floor Glides, which has to make one wonder, what were they thinking? Who would want their Stands gliding around the stage?? My guess is not many considering they switched to the rubber Crutch Tips on the Tubular Leg Stands about a year, or less, after they were introduced???

LVDC

All Catalog images shown in my posts were generated by me (scanning) and are from my personal files........
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the info., LVDC. I recently won an eBay auction for what appears to be a boom version of an early 70's Atlas cymbal stand and I was interested in hearing what people here might know about the history of Ludwig boom stands. Perhaps it was a straight stand which was modified. I'm familiar with the boom stands w/button feet but this one is an earlier version.

Steve

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Perhaps it was a straight stand which was modified.

Steve, that is a distinct possibility, but there are others. One is that it may have been a trial run prior to the "official" introduction of the Boom Stand, but my guess is that would have been around 1974, no sooner than that. If this was the case they probably just used a Bell Lyra Stand with a Atlas center (weighted) & top tube........

Here is the 1975 introduction information, which I modified a little by moving the text around so I could get everything in one image and it still be legible.

[IMG]http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL770/2917504/18623740/294822275.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a close-up of the Boom portion..........

[IMG]http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL770/2917504/18623740/294822332.jpg[/IMG]

If I were a betting man I would wager that the first, prototype, version was nothing more than a "tweaked" Bell Lyra Stand.

As shown in the 1975 Parts Catalog...........

[IMG]http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL770/2917504/18623740/294822363.jpg[/IMG]

LVDC

All Catalog images shown in my posts were generated by me (scanning) and are from my personal files........
Posted on 16 years ago

I think that your theory of mine being a prototype is probably right. The ad definitely leaves the impression that the one with the button feet is the company's first boom stand. I'll post after I have received it and compared the parts to those in your photo.

Thanks again, LVDC.

Steve

Posted on 16 years ago

Steve, the key feature to look for will be the Snare Stand style tube coming out of the Base with the Bell Lyra style clamp (as opposed to the ring & knuckle style,) and even if it has these characteristics that does't mean it rolled out of the Factory that way. To determine that you would have to know it's previous owners since it could have been put together by someone over the years. Stands are hard to pin down since the parts are easily interchangable..........

I'm curious to see what arrives and will check in after our Vacation to see if it showed up by then and what you think you may have.................

LVDC

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here