Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Ludwig Blue Oyster Pearl Drums

I AM THINKING OF BUYING A SET OF LUDWIG DOWNBEAT DRUMS (22/13/16) IN AVERAGE/GOOD CONDITION FROM A PLAYER IN THE UK. HE IS ASKING ?1000 ($2000?)...WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS GUYS? I AM BUYING IT AS A BIT OF AN INVESTMENT. THE SHELLS HAVE NO ISSUES OR HOLES BUT THE FINISH IS A LITTLE FADED IN AREAS...GIVE ME SOME INPUT.band2 PS:- THE KIT IS DATE STAMPED TO THE MID 60s, AND KEYSTONE BADGES.WHITE INTERIORS WHITE FELTS/BASEBALL BAT TONE CONTROLLERS ETC.

Posted on 17 years ago

That's not a "Downbeat" configuration. It's a BIG Beat configuration. The Downbeat is a 20/12/14.

At the moment, a Big Beat configuration is not as desirable among collectors as is a Downbeat configuration.

Having said that, the Blue Oyster pearl finish has grown to be quite desirable...if it's not the "bowling ball" variety.

As always, as far as "investment" drums go...you'ld be best to spend a little more up front for a "perfect" set.

On the other hand, if you are looking to play the drums, then almost any vintage Ludwigs will be great -in my opinion.

It would be nice to see some detailed pictures first!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Pics to follow, as for wether its 'bowling ball' finish or not, the best way i can describe it is that it looks identical to the famous 'Black Oyster Pearl' finish, although obviously its blue in its hue.The bowlingball finish isn't like that is it?That looks like its been painted on right?

Thanks.

Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, I think that would be a good way of describing the "true" blue Oyster pearl wrap.

Yes, again. The "bowling ball" variety came later on, anyway....I think. In other words, if your drums have the keystone badges and BB mufflers, then that era of drum should be the "true" BlOP. The real stuff is absolutely gorgeous, in my opinion. It's one of my favorite wrapped finishes of them all. A few years ago, they were all over the place on Ebay -nice, niCE, NICE matched kits, too. It seemed that nobody wanted them and everyone was just looking for BLACK oyster pearl. But, NOW...well, let's put it this way... Things have changed!

I can't be sure about what is considered a "good deal" in European countries for vintage American drums. It might be that your price would be considered a good deal there. It seems a bit high for a set of that description, here, in America, though....but that may soon change. There are far fewer "good deals" on Ebay anymore for "known" collectible brands like vintage Ludwig...and Ebay seems to still be the gauge by which these estimates are made.Burger Kin

Posted on 17 years ago

Posted on 17 years ago

Thankyou for your help and advice. What would you anticipate paying in US dollars for a kit in Exceptional condition, (ie:- better than the average as i have described) with and without a snare? It sounds as though the deal i am looking at might not be the best?Hmmmm

Posted on 17 years ago

Like I say....I can't really be sure what kinds of prices the UK gets for vintage American drum gear. I do know it's more...but how much more? I can't be sure.

In America, I might be willing to pay anywhere from $1200.00 to $1700.00 for a MINT condition BlOP 20/12/14. If it came with a matching snare drum, then it could add as much as another $500.00 (Even though the separate snare drum, by itself, might not sell for that much) because a fully-matched factory kit is a big bonus to collectors. The extreme high-end of what I would pay would probably be $2200.00..for MINT condition -with snare.

Keep in mind, these price estimates would not have been given a couple years ago! Prices have gone up considerably for matched kits. Add to that the number of collectors out there with deep pockets and you almost always end up in a bidding war for such items. It's really more a matter of that kind of thing that dictates the pricing.

Having said that, I don't think you could find better sounding drums than vintage Ludwigs from the 60's. I would be more willing to pay the money for a "like new" condition vintage kit than I would for any modern set of drums...and modern high-end drums are also very expensive. The difference is that, whatever I pay for a mint-condition vintage kit will maintain its value OR increase in its value over time (in my opinion) whereas a modern kit loses its value immediately after you leave the store.

I would recommend that you study the UK drum market until you get a better idea about what to expect to pay for such items. Depending on S/H costs, you might be able to buy a nicer kit in the American market and then have it shipped to wherever you are for about the same amount of money that you are willing to spend.

Posted on 17 years ago

As you can see from the winning bid on that "bowling ball" kit, the prices, here, usually fall into that 1200-1500 range for a kit in that kind of condition -complete and matched set with a snare drum. There were a few little extras on that particular kit and I think the winning bid was a good price -a fair price to be sure.

I am quite curious to see what the real BlOP kit ends up going for. It appears to be a very beautiful kit. I suspect it may get up there. We'll see!

Posted on 17 years ago

Thankyou again for your help. That kit does look nice doesn't it?

Posted on 17 years ago

Being European based I would have thought 1000 GBP for a Ludwig kit of that vintage sans snare was just on the wrong side of high particularly if there is a wrap issue.

I've been recently offered a couple of complete vintage kits of a similar brand for 1000GBP a piece but these are absolutely mint, include snares and the guy is throwing in a bunch of extra stuff I can flog off to ease the pain.

For those American readers (most of you, I guess), yes U.S. vintage drums tend to be considerably more expensive on this side of the pond (which is why we all love trying to buy stuff when we're in the States and then unobstrusively get it through customs on the way back). Always a problem trying to explain to U.S. ebayers why I want stuff shipped to a U.S. address - those European import duties can be up to 25% of the price (add the shipping and you can see how tough that can be).

D

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here