Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Ludwig Black Panther finish....rare yes. Desireable?

Ok, I need a bunch of opinions on this one. Another member posted in another thread about Ludwig's Black Panther finish that yes they were rare, but that they were undesirable.

So what's your opinion? Yes or no?

Posted on 14 years ago

Here's a link to completed ebay listings.....judging by the prices I'd say yes.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Percussion-/10172/i.html?LH_IncludeSIF=1&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=ludwig%20panther&_fln=1&_sop=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1

BTW, you need to log in with your ebay ID to view it.......

Posted on 14 years ago

I don't like the look of the finish, myself. I do, however, LOVE black Cortex and black lacquer finished drums. I know BP is a rare finish, but it didn't seem like a practical one. It tore easily from what I understand and didn't wear well as far as scratches and scuffs, either. But, just like anything else, there's people who love it and people who hate it. The same thing happens with Mod Orange and Citrus Mod and Psych Red.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

By the way...If you add up the total for all those drums listed in that link, the entire shellpack sold for $863.50 -not including the S/H. I don't think that's an indication they are necessarily desirable over any other finish.

Posted on 14 years ago

I hear what you are saying and can appreciate that others are not a fan of the finish. Like you stated the same can be said about the mod finishes and psychadelic red finish, as well as the Ludwig Standard Strata finishes.......I am not a fan of any of those now rare and desireable ugly finishes. Black Panther on the other hand I always thought was a cool finish. Yes they are a bit harder to keep nice, but I take care of my equipment, unlike some drummers I know. They are no worse to take care of than any other instrument as long as they are handled with care, and I always do.

I always do one of these: DOH when I see a guy load in his drums to a club with NO CASES OR GIGBAGS! Mind Blowi Even better, when the cymbals come in ON THE STANDS STILL! Mind Blowi DOH

Posted on 14 years ago

From O-Lugs

By the way...If you add up the total for all those drums listed in that link, the entire shellpack sold for $863.50 -not including the S/H. I don't think that's an indication they are necessarily desirable over any other finish.

If they were truly undesirable they would have sold for a lot less.......

Posted on 14 years ago

I voted yes. They match the top of my Samsonite folding card table.

From a collector standpoint and as a player's kit I think this kit is desirable. Like Slingerland denim covering, among others, one has to realize what was going on in the 70's to get a feel for the reason companies offered these finishes.

Black Panther might end up as the "Top Hat & Cane" equivalent for it's era.

Posted on 14 years ago

All colors even red sparkle, wmp, black oyster, are seen by some as non-desirable....it's just what the person likes???Isn't that kind of an obvious thing. If this is about me saying it is an undesirable finish....I''ll re-phrase it and say that the majority of people don't really like it.

And just for the record....I really love the finish when it is on keystone badged drums.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

From drumbum3131

All colors even red sparkle, wmp, black oyster, are seen by some as non-desirable....it's just what the person likes???Isn't that kind of an obvious thing. If this is about me saying it is an undesirable finish....I''ll re-phrase it and say that the majority of people don't really like it.And just for the record....I really love the finish when it is on keystone badged drums.

hmmmmm......

1 attachments
Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

I didn't mean to suggest they were completely UNdesirable. But the price indicates what appears to be about the average for any vintage Ludwig kit in decent shape these days.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here