Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Ludwig black beauty/supraphonic snare

Hi fellow drummers,

Ok, I'm coming clean here. I know nothing about Ludwig snares, only that I want to add a nice one to my collection. I have no metal snares presently. So here's some questions for you experts out there. First, what's the difference, if any, between the supraphonic and the black beauty snare drum. Second, which ones are the most sought after? When I look on Ebay, some supraphonics go for 100.00, and some for alot more. Could someone out there educate me please. If I'm into the classic rock, 60s and 70s, which one would work best. Thanks, BigAl

Posted on 17 years ago

I'll try to not go into rediculous detail but here goes:

Black Beauty snare drums first appeared in the 1920s and had hand engraved floral patterns on the drum shell. These drums are quite valuable and bring some serious coin. The shell was also made of brass. These drums went out of production in the 30's.

In 1958-59 Ludwig introduced the Ludwig super 400. It was the early supraphonc and had a brass shell. The name was changed to supraphonic probobly sometime in 1960-61. The shells were made of brass until about 1962. These drums are kind of rare and bring in good money because of the brass shell.

Around 1962-63 Ludwig introduced the Ludalloy shell which was basically an aluminum shell that was chrome plated. Supras have been made like this ever since. Keystone badge ones fetch a little more than blue olive ones and they still make the same drum today.

Ludwig also reintroduced the black beauty in 1979 and made it for about 3-4 years. These are quite valuable now as well. They currently make the black beauty now with or without engraving.

This is a basic overview at best. I would suggest looking for a supra with the ludalloy shell. They made millions, they are reasonably priced and they sound great. They are perfect for classic rock. They in fact a very versitile drum. Hope this helps.

-Kurt

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 17 years ago

Get a Supra 400(most recorded snare) first then get a Supra 402(6.5x 14,Bonham,GFR type stuff)).

Those two will fit any bill and not break the bank!

AND great for today's music too!

Pat

Posted on 17 years ago

.....AND...if you wanna save even more money, get yourself an Acrolite snare. Same "ludaloy" shell as the Supra, but not chrome, and only 8 lugs. I have a 67 Supraphonic and its great...but have an Acrolite for my practice set, and it sounds "almost" as good...paid $45 on ebay for it.

Ed

Posted on 17 years ago

I took the Acrolite advice given to me here when I was looking to get a Supra, and I got to say I am REALLY happy with it. Had a friend at the drum shop tune it up for me and it really cracks. I paid about $90 off ebay with the shipping and got an old Ludwig stand and a ugly hardcase too.

I would still like to get a Supra at some point, but I am really satisified with the sound of the Acrolite. It is my first vintage drum, and I'm looking for a whole ludwig set now.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here