Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Ludwig Black Beauty

I am considering buying a new black beauty, but i'm thinking that the older ones made with american parts ones were better made than todays made-in-china assembled-in-america counterparts. I don't want something too old, so my question is, how far back to i have to go to get the most RECENT good old american black beauty. Thanks.

Posted on 16 years ago

Mine is a few years old, and sounds nice to me.....and personally speaking I don't trust much of the vintage drum market now....too many people trying to fake stuff and they're getting better at it. As far as the foreign made, American assembled hit up Ludwigvondrumcrazy, he's pretty hip on Ludwig stuff

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

You are guaranteed a winner if you can find a blue/olive "sharp badge" black beauty. You will also have to be willing to pay the price but they are fabulous.

On the affordable note, and as much as I hate to say it, the brand new Pork Pie BB copy sounds pretty great. I think it is around $250.00.

Isaac

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I was comparing a brand new black beauty with a brand new Dunnett snare, both were unbelievable, but the ludwig had a more distinctive sound. Intoxicating, in fact.

Posted on 16 years ago

I have a 14 x 5 Brass Edition Black Beauty with Die Cast Hoops and tube lugs from 2002. I have not had any problems with it. This drum sounds great and won NSMD's snare drum olympics something like seven years in a row. I have not met any drummer, pro or enthusiast using late model Black Beauties or Supras who has any major complaints at all. If you want a new Ludwig Drum, buy it from someone would an excellent return policy. I bought mine from Todd Trent and I use it all the time. As for buying a vintage one, there are plenty around and I would just be careful of who you are doing business with.

Matt Josephson

Nashville

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here