Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Ludwig Black Beauty Snare. What?s it worth?

Hi, I?m new here, but this is a GREAT place.

I have 2 snare drums from the 80?s, a 6 1/2 Ludwig Black Beauty Super Sensitive and a 6 1/2 Tama Superstar Mastercraft Maple that I might want to sell.

The Ludwig?s serial nr is; 1839071 and the Tama?s serial is; 116467

I don?t really need the money, but I?ve got tons of drum equipment from my endorsements with Sonor, Zildjian, and DW, and I?m more into music production these days www.myspace.com/dicarloproductions and these drums are just sitting around in their cases collecting dust.

I was just curious what they might be worth?

I may just hold on to them for another 10 years, because I may end up getting a major tour one of these days, who knows?! :)

But, these days I?m basically spending more time in the studio than on stage,

and these mint condition beauties are just sitting around.

I?m basically producing a lot of Hip Hop, and Dance music these days, and use a very small custom Sonor kit with a 16 x 17 bass drum, 10 x 5 snare, 10 x 11 tom, 13 x 12 tom, a set of Zildjian Remix Cymbals with a 16" K. Zildjian China, so it`s a real compact kit. If I need more volume I mic them with my Sennheiser clip on mics and run them through my 16 channel Mackie mixer into the main PA and they sound great.

Anyway, if anyone has any idea what these babies would be worth, let me know. But I might just hold on to them for another 10 years, because they?ll

only go up in price. :)

Once again, great place you?ve got here.

Peace,

DICARLO

Posted on 17 years ago

[SIZE=3]I know that 1983 is almost new for you guys, seeing as how most of the drums on this forum are from the 40?s, 50?s, 60?s, and 70?s, but does no one here have an idea what it would be worth? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Maybe I should wait another 10 or 20 years, before I sell it, because I don?t really need the money, I was just curious. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I also found out from Tama/Meinl Germany, that my 6 1/2 Tama Mastercraft Artwood snare, given to me by the great Gerry Brown, is from 1983 and is Birch and not Maple. In all the Tama Cataloges it says "6 plies of rock maple to give it a warm woody sound". But that was a mistake, because only the outside is maple. lol[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Anyone have any idea what the Tama would be worth, or am I wasting my time here?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I hate to be ignored.[/SIZE][SIZE=7] band2

Peace,

DICARLO[/SIZE]

Posted on 17 years ago

Actaully, you are not being ignored, the answer to the question has been discussed on the forum a few times in regards to the BB.

If you search the topic different ways, you should be able to find other discussions about the BB.

I would price the BB at $800 or more. There is a 78 with a 5" shell at $1,000 with no bids.

The Tama is another story and since it is newer, you should possibly be able to determine the value by visiting Ebay.

When I want to get an idea what something is selling for I search Ebay for completed auctions.

This is the best way to get a ball park figure.

My guess is the Tama is worth less then the original retail price.

Then again, you should give us pictures if possible so we know the exact drum we are trying to give a value for.

Thanks for the questions

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey, Thanks for the reply. :)

Didn?t mean to over react like that. lol

Yeah, it makes sense that I wait at least another 10 years, if I ever do decide to sell them. Truth is I have a studio and an online mixing & mastering business, and I also offer drumming on people?s tracks as well, so different snares do come in handy, depending what kind of sound the artist is looking for. I just took photos of my collection of 5 snares today. I have the Black Beauty, the Tama, an older Yamaha piccolo like Weckl first played, and 2 solid maple Dixon?s, a 12" and a 10", and they all sound great live and in the studio. :) I?ll post a photo of them here. Where do you post photos here? I haven?t see any on this forum.

I?ve also got 5 electronic drum kits as well, because I?m writing and performing a lot of modern music. I literally have got tons of equipment, which is the only reason I was even considering selling the BB and the Tama. But, I don?t think I?ll sell either. Just like my Les Paul and Stratocaster, they?re both worth a lot of money, but I can?t seem to part with them.

Maybe someday, if I really need the money, who knows?!

My Dad, had a set of old Gretsch Blue Flame?s, like Elvin Jones played, and after he died in 2005, my Mom sold the kit, his Zildjian cymbals, and all the old stuff he had in the basement. It?s a shame I didn?t know about this forum then. And it?s a shame he didn?t know about it while he was alive, because I?m sure he would have enjoyed hanging out and chatting with everyone here. :)

Thanks again.

Peace,

DICARLO

Posted on 17 years ago

Sorry, posted this twice. :)

Posted on 17 years ago

NOT VINTAGE, BUT SOUND GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Here?s my snare collection, and they all sound killer. :)

Top to bottom;

Yamaha Piccolo Brass 14 x 3 1/2 (Earlier Dave Weckl snare)

1980 Ludwig Black Beauty Supersensitive 14 x 6 1/2

1983 Tama Mastercraft Artwood 14 x 6 1/2 (A gift from Gerry Brown)

Left Top to Bottom;

Dixon Solid Maple 10 x 5 ( I use this snare for live gigs with a custom Sonor Lite Jungle Kit. 16 x 17 BD, 10 x 11 TT, 13 x 14 TT in Creme White. The smallest drums from my huge 1984 Sonor Lite kit consisting of 10; 12, 13, 14, Toms, 16 Floor Tom, 22 x 17 Bass Drum, All Sonor Signature Hardware and Stands.)

Dixon Solid Maple Black 12 x 5

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/DICARLO1/SNARES024.jpg[/IMG]

My tour kit with The Weather Girls.

Sonor Designer Kit.

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/DICARLO1/Scan10002.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here